Normalized BP after 10 years

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am very confused. My BP after 10 years has become normal after remaining out of control with two medications. I had malignant hypertension and experienced acute renal failure , which turned chronic later.

But now for the last 3 months, the BP has become normal ( 115/77) and renal recovery has started taking place. I dont understand this phenomenon.

The only change that took place was that I had lost weight and it probably helped.

The only medication , i take now is captropril ( ace inhibitor 25 mg).

Has anyone else experienced something like this before. Does BP have any honey moon phase or it is complete recovery.

All opinons are welcome

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Sounds as if your body has healed itself.  Well done

• Posted

Thx, but I am trying to research, if this is permanent and has happened with others or is a freak event and will revert to bad uncontrolled BP again.
  • Posted

Alot of us on here are confused about our bp,  it certainly does seem to have a mind of its own, that is great news you take care and keep up the good work..
    • Posted

Thx, I only hope it is permanent and sustainable. Becuase, I struggled for 10 years and it was almost impossible to get it right.

Now, I lost 24 kgs and things seemed to fallen in line on its own. Wonder, if weight control can bring about such a big change. I was 94 and now I am 72 kgs. Ideal weight for me is 78 kgs.

• Posted

Wonderful how did you lose the weight. I am really struggling the less I eat the more weight I seem to gain. Could do with losing a stone 
  • Posted

Philip.  Wow!  What wonderful news.  Which were the two medications that failed to control the high BP?  Also is the Captropril something which you have only started since your recovery?  I am really interested as I, too, have chronic kidney disease and out-of-control high BP in spite of taking Losartan Potassium 50.  I have tried other pills but they have caused very unwanted side effects, with some even causing further deterioration in kidney function.

If you feel the secret is purely the weight loss, then perhaps that's something that I need to tackle somehow even though I'm not particular overweight, so may not make a difference in my case.  How much weight have you lost?

Sorry for so many questions.  Long may your recovery continue - keep well.

• Posted

Mrs O

The pills that helped me with my BP were Dilzam hydrochloride, 200 mg or sometime 240 mg.  Brand Herbessar and the other combination medicine was Atacand Plus 16/12,5 mg. Together, it could control my BP. Though not always optimally. Losartan was totally ineffective for me.

No matter, how hard I tried, the weight only went up and never came down, despite exercises and dieting. It had something to do with the side effect of BP medication. My weight went up from 84 kgs to 94 kgs in 10 years time. That is where I went made. I started exploring herbal alternates and found a green tea, which perhaps introduced enough bacterias in my body to flush away the fat. 9 months later, i was 20 kgs down.  Something, which I could not do in 10 years, despite my struggle on the tread mill and gym and dieting.

However, the biggest bonus that came was the automatic normalizaiton of the BP.  Though, I am still anxious, if it is permanent or is somethign weird, which will revert to its sinful past.

Hope this helps you. 

• Posted

#hi so was it plain green tea or did it have lemon added or something else?
    • Posted

I have read that it should be leaf tea not tea bags to be effective
    • Posted

Philip, thank you for your reply.  I was prescribed Diltiazem many months ago but it was stopped due to causing ankle and leg swelling.

I was wondering if it was your BP medications that caused your kidney problems, or did you have the kidney problems before taking BP meds?

It really does sound as though your large weight loss has resulted in your blood pressure normalising so hopefully if the weight stays off the BP will also remain normal.  A consultant once told me that for every stone of weight lost, blood pressure can reduce by about 10%.  You deserve to feel really proud of yourself.  Stay well.

• Posted

The kidney was a result of acute renal failure , which had damaged the kidney to some extent. Thereafter, it was the BP , uncontrolled, which runs as a vicious cycle, : Kidney causing BP and BP causing kidney damage.

Diltiazem was quite helpful in keeping the BP under control.

• Posted

Great news. After three months I would hope that it is permanent. What did your doctor say about it?
    • Posted

Thx Derek. The doctors are taking wait and watch policy. One of them said, it is Honey Moon Phase. That is why, I am trying to research, if it is permanent or will it revert to the bad numbers.
  • Posted

That is wonderful news, Philip! I heard that losing weight and making lifestyle changes can make a big difference. I have a friend who has high bp, too and am thinking of sharing this to encourage him. What was your bp readling like before this wonderful change took place?  It is so nice to hear something great like this. Thank you for sharing.
    • Posted

Thx Tina, so far , so good.

My BP was always very uncomfortable and difficult to control as I had an acute kideny injury. This meant, the kidney distorted the BP and most of the time the number was 160/100 or 160/110 despite two very strong medications.  After my exercise regime, it came down to 140/100, however, still was very high for comfort. But then I start losing weight and slowly the diastolic started becoming better and better. Finally, it is nice and clean so far. But , I am always anxious, whether it is a temporary phase or it has permanently healed. As per medical science, hypertension, once sets in cannot be cured. This is why I posted here to research, if there are other cases like me out here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.