Norml ekg confusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a bit confused by my dr actions. My issues started about a year ago I started having chest pains at odd times and I talked to my family dr about it. He did a new ekg every 3 months at my normal visit. But they were all normal we discussed my anxiety and stress being a cause but they don't trigger the pains. We ruled out indigestion after several kinds of pills. Family dr then sent me to a cardiologist who promptly did another in office ekg which was also normal. He promptly put me in a 30 day monitor which so far is normal and have 14 days left but they called and scheduled a chemical stress test and some kind of ekg. I'm just confused as if everything is normal why order the new tests what are these gonna show that the other ten have not. I'm ready to just give up and go on to the next thing but idk how likely it is though. I'm just tired of the pain and tired of dead end anyone know the reason for more ekgs and stress test if all the others have been normal

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

The only thing I would point out is that medicine needs to rule out problems which they need to do to find the source of issues that may not show up on initial screenings.

So if everything has been normal thus far...including halfway thru the 30 day monitor test they may want to move on to more sophisticated testing to see what they turn up.

I'd rather go thru all the battery of tests rather than stop bc they haven't found anything. Then I could rest assured I am probably ok if everything comes back unremarkable.

Plus, if the same problem continued or reoccured in future they have a record of my baseline results to compare things to...

Good luck!

Kathy

• Posted

We ruled out my meds. I'm just wondering what would show up on yet another ekg that hasn't showed on the 15 so far. I'm tired of not knowing. I told the heart dr I'll believe him if he says it's not I just wanna know what it is. Next option is my degentrigitive disc desiese in my thoric spine instead of just my lower spine. I'm just so frustrated

• Posted

i too had all tests. Started with ekg, then heart monitor, then stress test, then angogram. i showed a 70% blockage in one all others were 40%. Cardiologist didn't do a stent said we would treat it with meds.

I'm having same symptoms as last year. i just went back to cardiologist last week. He did an ekg and told me nothing wrong. Just like last year when they found nothing after all the tests.

I have racked up over $70000 in medical bills. Thank God for insurance. I am still trying to figure out what is wrong.

The person that hooked me up to the heart monitor said it might take a few years to figure out what is wrong. I'm hoping that it doesn't take that long but I'm already in it 1 1/2 years.

Hope you find out what is going on soon. I know it is frustrating but keep pressuring the Drs as I am.

• Posted

Mark,

Sounds a bit odd a doctor saying it could take 'years' to find out what if anything is wrong. If they cannot find anything wrong maybe you are healthy, in a few years you might actually develop a condition, then they can say they found something. Maybe, this is the downside of insurance running medicine, the doctors are running up great paydays for themselves.

• Posted

I found it odd also. My main problem is light-headed, extremely fatigued and hands turn red and tingle.

Tests include: multiple EKGs, heart monitor, angiogram, MRI of head, MRI of sinus, MRI of neck and spine, xrays of chest, sleep apnea test, carpol tunnel, complete eye exam.

All came back normal except the angogram (which I said earlier) and MRI of neck (c4 Pinching)

All Drs ( 6 different ones) say nothing to cause my symptoms.

I think thats why one said it might that a few years to figure out. Kathy 219 yes it does sound weird, but like Bellakrystle it may take more test. I hope yours doesn't

• Posted

I'm just so stressed about not knowing. If it takes a year to have an answer at least it will be an answer to what's wrong

• Posted

Jen...while the comment 'it may take years' to find a problem sounds odd & reeks of lack of proper medical testing....it did take several years to diagnose my afib. I was never in afib when tested until a random pre-op ekg picked it up! I had several tests done over the years due to symptoms, but it never showed during those times.

• Posted

Two years ago while in the hospital for something totally different I was told I had noneumatic tricuspid disorder but all the dr have said it's nothing to worry about. I haven't goggled it cause I get paranoid if i do so idk if that could be causing the pain or if something i need to worry about or not. I don't think I can take another year of this not knowing. If they said hey you have ____________ and its gonna take two years to figure out the right treatment I could deal. I've been trying to find the best treatment for my pain for a couple years because I don't want narcotics and the best way to treat my bipolar the two combined have cause a lot of issues but I know what a wrong so I know we are treating it and looking for the best way. But the not knowing is what's driving me insane

• Posted

Not to my knowledge. I had some pretty bad strap infections growing up but never that I know of had it

• Posted

That is interesting bellakrystle, when I hear of something new I like to learn about it. The condition you describe can apparently start with strep throat, but it then leads to rheumatic fever which in turn can damage the heart.

Obviously this is not the cause in your case as you have not had rheumatic fever, I just found it interesting strep throat was mentioned.

I hope your doctors can find the reason for your pains and put you on a treatment plan. Good luck.

• Posted

Rhumatic fever comes from untreated strep. Growing up I had strep.like every other month. If anyone I was around had it i get it and that's true still. So i don't remember if mine ever went that far. Because i usually got antibiotics. I'll have to ask my mother

• Posted

Sorry I replied so many times I don't realize they all posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.