Norovirus recovery???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all! I'm 29 and live in the US. Almost three weeks ago I came down with norovirus after my son had it. It left me very fatigued and lack of appetite. I think I'm starting to feel better but I'm terrified of it relapsing. Please tell me it won't relapse. Also I should add I tested positive for it last week. Also is it normal to feel unwell for this long? Replies are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I typed up a well thought out answer and I don't believe it submitted properly, so I will try my best to submit it again.

First, since starting to feel better, have you returned to regular (or semi-regular) eating habits? And did you start out with a bland, easy to digest diet? I think that the fear of symptoms returning is contributing to the prolonged uncomfortable feelings. Norovirus is a self-limiting pathogen, meaning it will clear up on its own - generally it will be out of your system within a week even if symptoms clear up sooner. Once you have been infected with the virus you will not have the symptoms again from that same virus, since your body will have built up antibodies against it. If you happen to get sick again it will be from a different source. I understand that you are scared of the unpleasent symptoms returning, but you should try to re-introduce normal, healthy foods if you have not yet done so. So, to answer your question plainly: no you shouldn't still be feeling ill after three weeks, but it is undertandable that you may not be 100%. Should you have any further concerns or the symptoms return or worsen, see your doctor for a more thorough assessment smile

• Posted

Some take weeks or months to recover from this stomach flu.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but norovirus has not only different groups, but also different types. 

Meaning: you can get infected again by a different type of norovirus 

and the immunity to the norovirus typ you have just had, is not life long either. (debated if 14 weeks or 24 months lasting).

Hence: this virus is highly contagious and yes, you can get infected by norovirus again be it the exact same you had (after some time, months, years) or another type of noro anytime, when people spread another infection wave (unlikely to happen right now).

Best of luck, you quite unlikely relapse right now from one and the same virus you have just had even if it was still going around as your immune system has just combat it; take it easy, give yourself rest. Some people take a long time to recover from it, talking months.

• Posted

Have you had it before? If so how long did it take you to feel completely well?
    • Posted

I had this and much more regarding gastrointestinal infections.

It was not a long recovery for me regarding noro.

(A clostridium difficile (bac) overgrowth after antibiotic clindamycin treatment or a full blown giardiasis was much worse (painful, duration) than a norovirus.)

But everybody is different.

I just know that some suffer long with getting back to normal strength and eating habit. It is exhausing, a gastroinfection is a marathon run, you need to take it easy and not expect too much of you and your body.

Most important is hydration.

You need to really drink a lot, fatigue is often a dehydration sign.

If you had still watery stools, you might need iv hydration. You don't want to burden your guts and their lining too badly at the beginning, so yes, easy to digest foods and mashed/well chewed is imperative. You could also take those nutritional shakes? They should be easy to digest.

Please ask your doc if he had any tricks up his sleeve for faster recovery (like certain vitamins).

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.