Norovirus. Torture!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Last week my 2 yr old was sick, vomiting at first and then diarrhea, for 7 days. The first two days he vomited and the rest were just diarrhea. This past Thursday I started to feel what I believed was a stomach ache. I apologize in advance for the graphic description, but I am peeing out of my bum. I vomited once and since it has been diarrhea, extremely watery. I noticed the heart racing and went to the hospital and was given IV fluids as well as medication for body aches and head ache from the deep trenches of hell. The doctor said I was dehydrated. I'm now 3 days in and while the body aches and headache are gone, I continue to pee out of my bum. I hear the contents in my stomach trickle down and then I rush to the bathroom. My poor husband is amazed how a stomach could make so much noise. I have a lot of flatuence too. The nausea comes and goes. When will I feel better? I keep reading the Norovirus is brutal but it leaves within 24/48 hours and I'm almost 4 days in. I feel like it will never go away. Can you share your personal experience? Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Keep yourself hydrated with rehydration solution that you can get from pharmacy or google it to make your own at home. 
    • Posted

Is it possible to have symptoms for more than 24/48 hours?
  • Posted

How is your 2 yr old son doing. Is he recovered?
    • Posted

Good Carla.

My son and I had similar issues as you stated. He still peeing loose stool but not diarhea. Dr's are suggesting not to worry as he is active.

• Posted

Norovirus is contagious big time, and almost imporssible to avoid.

I learnt this when my grandson had it and I was asked to help with him, he was sooo ill, ended up taking him to the hospital as his was so dehydrated, sunken eyes, and when you pinched his skin on the back of his hands, it didn't bounce back flat, just stood up in the pinched position, same applies to you, a good and simple way to check if somebody is dehydrated.

It can linger I'm afraid your system has been sooooo stressed it can take a while to get well from, and as usual when kids have something they seem to be able to bounce back sooo much quicker than us adults.

if you cannot get to the store, a very simple rehydration is a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a big glass of water, tastes a bit strange but not tooo bad.

But I wouldn't take it for any more than a couple of days at the most.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.