Nortriptyline and hair loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone. Is anyone taking Nortriptyline (anti-depressant, but I take it for chronic daily headaches) and experiencing hair thinning or hair loss. I've been on 20mg for the past month and a half and have noticed my hair has significantly thinned out to the point it's becoming very staticky and limp. If so and you have stopped taking this medication, has your hair grown back to it's orginal volume?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was also prescribed this for the same reason. I hadn't taken them much though but was told by a GP this could be a cause. I was originally diagnosed with alopecia areata but have since been told it could be hair loss due to these or low ferritin levels (have finally been diagnosed as anaemic). Still early days but fingers crossed....
    • Posted

Hello Scotgirl. What dosage are you taking? And how long have you been on nortriptyline? Did you experience any other side effects from the drug? I'm also experiencing increased heart rate and palpitations. Thanks.
  • Posted

Hello, I was prescribed these tablets for pain also. My hair started thinning badly after 4 weeks of use. I quit them after 4 weeks that was 10 months ago. My hair is not getting thicker at all. Had a go at my Doctor for not telling me of this side effect. Waste of time! Anyway hope you have better look.

Best wishes

• Posted

Every medicine has its effect and side-effect. Same with nortriptyline. This medicines is for headache and anti-depression. So, you can imagine once it will effect the headache but on the other hand it will result in hair loss. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.