Nortriptyline for Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone been prescribed for Nortriptyline for Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?  My ENT has prescribed this after trying everything else.  He said the pressure/pain/dizziness is all nerve based???   I am confused and took one last night as a last resort but don't notice any difference.  

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Me again Jayne,

Why does your ENT consultant think you need antidepressants. Mind you, ETD can cause us to feel depressed.  However, they won't help at all.

I now get the feeling from reading peoples post on this Forum that doctors think we're either making it up or we're all bonkers.....hence the tablets Jayne.

This is dreadful, is that the best he could do for you.

What about what I've recommended to you.

Anne

• Posted

Hi, Anne, thanks so much for your comments.  You have offered some very good advice - the top being the prendnisone - but as I mentioned, I can't take it (very infrequently) because I have osteoporosis that is pretty bad.  Anyway, you mentioned your skepticism about the Nortiptyline - and I, too, felt this way.  But the purpose of it in this case is not due to depression (although one could get depressed - as you stated - just from feeling so crummy) - the purpose is because it can help disorders that are nerve based - his thought was that the symptoms could be associated with migraines - I still am unsure about that.  The dosage of the nortriptyline is 10 mg instead of the usual 60 or more for depression.  Please look at "migraine disorders.org" and you can see the connections.  I am still unsure that this is right - the wacky thing is that today I feel better than I have in a long time.  I took the pill for the first time Sat. night before bed and felt crummy yesterday but figured I would give it one more try last night and I am definitely having less syptoms - maybe it is all ironic.  I am unsure about all of this and feel I have ETD but maybe it does have some of these connections as well?????

• Posted

Hello Jayne,  Well, if you're are feeling better, that's so great and keep doing what you're doing.

We aren't doctors and they are supposed to know what best, for each individual.

Personally, and what do I know, I'd never connect Migraines with ETD.  I sometimes get a 

migraine without the headache, but the aura instead....I see coloured squiggly lines for

twenty minutes, then they go.  when it first happened it really frightened me, but was

reassured by my optician that they are very common.  When they start I immediately take

a paracetamol tablet an that seems to prevent a headache coming on.

Now back the the Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  Such a terrible shame you have esteoporosis,

such a painful condition and of course the steroid wouldn't help at all.

ETD can make us feel very bad tempered and grumpy.....but what's the answer for you ??

I saw my ENT consultant this morning, he is so pleased that I've managed to crack my ETD

with the Nasules, that unfortunately, can only be obtained on prescription in England.  I was

given a hearing test too.....my hearing is certainly not what it was, however, it's not that bad

either, despite all the ear infections and perforated eardrums over the years.  I ask him about

flying, as we haven't taken a holiday abroad due to the ETD in 5 years this year....I need some

sun shine !!  He said the pressure test that was taken today proves that if I went on a plane myears would certainly block up, but having the Flixonase Nasules by me I would probably be able to pop

them as I'm doing at the moment.  Now only using drops every 7 days or so.

Sadly, this is all I'm am to tell you right now.  I really wish there was a magic cure for ETD.  But,

if you're okay at the moment, that's a really good thing.

Take care Jayne

best wished

Anne

• Posted

Thank you again Anne for your kind information.  I appreciate any advice that can be given.  I took the medicine again last night that the doctor prescribed for me claiming that my problems were migraine oriented.  Today was the opposite of yesterday - lots of sinus pressure and some ear pressure.  So, the medicine is not a cure all by any means.  I will take it tonight and probably tomorrow night.  If I feel that it isn't helping at that point, I will stop.  I think yesterday could have been coincidental.  I too suffered form migraines for years so I know the symptoms and feel that this is not the right way to pursue this.  Anyway, thanks for your advice.  I appreciate all of it.  

• Posted

Morning Jayne,

Didn't think they'd be the answer...pure coincidence !!

ETD in my opinion and you'll need the correct medication for that, or you'll

suffer for ages.  Then that will make you feel miserable and anxious.

Did I ask you which country you live in ?

Anne

• Posted

I have been to two ENT's here and the second one is the one who prescribed the nortryptiline (spelling?).  The first one was very traditional.  My family practitioner prescribed prednisone back in early December which I took for a short while.  But, again , I have osteoporosis and the prednisone can affect that.  Oh, and I live in the United States.  Thanks again for your help.

• Posted

So you get dizziness with yr ETD? I'VE been having dizzy spells as eell and am being tested for other things rhis week. Since doing nose excercises and using flonase as well as xlear(natural ingredients) I seem so much better..now wondering if all these othr tests are a must..wish I knew..my head gets such strange sensations as well as Tinnitis..sorry, can't help ya with med info, but am thinking ya may need more than a few doses to know for sure if it will help. So he is treating it as a nerve condition.Mmmm..that's new..

• Posted

I think many of us feel light headed, even dizziness from ETD.....ears are our balance after all.

Anne

• Posted

Yes, I understand that. But my dizziness at times are dull blown vertigo, where I can't even get up..so just not sure if ETD causes it to tht extreme. As well as all my othr strange symproms. I could easily be on 5 or 6 forums for all the strange things that I go thru. I'm just trying to figure out if all the symptoms are deriving from one main culprit.. But I do u serstand symptoms of the ETD...

• Posted

You could have Meniers disease then....probably spelt that worngly.  google your symptoms

and see what it says.

• Posted

Never understand why some post are moderated, never to be seen again.

I wish the Forum would give their seasons for this.  Not one of mine I will

add....from someone else to Jayne.

Anne

• Posted

I know right? I think if we mention names or companies etc. They delete..gotta separate real good...wink
    • Posted

Dr. Richardson in Miami is good
    • Posted

Not sure that's the reason Terrie....I keep asking them and never receive a reply.....so rude LOL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.