nortriptyline for IBS

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had IBS since 1992, tried many different medications, the FODmaps diet, hypnotherapy and acupuncture but nothing seems to help for long.  My IBS has been much worse for the last 3 months, even causing me to cancel a holiday, so I saw my GP again this week. She has prescribed

Nortriptyline so I would welcome feedback from anyone who has tried this. Many thanks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Rosalind

When we take medications sometimes they react in different ways depending on Patient

You are best taking the medication and see how it goes. If you look in the box the drug came in you will find a sheet of paper explaining the medication and any problems associated with it, Read the notice

BOB

• Posted

IBS that is what my doctor said I had after going to thousands of them .. it irritated me. because I had all just about every test done at the hospital. I had endoscopy done on me I also had barium swallow test done, I complained about having food stuck inside me and being overly nauseated. I am always feeling nauseated of lately I havent had time to worry about myself being as I am always trying to get everything else organized. I get v Tired and barely get time to myself.and get v nauseated. My doctor or should I say GP just about every doctor I have been to have put me on Nortriptyline. I think they think that I am making things up that I am feeling nauseated. My GP sid to me and just about every doctor I saw said to me that I have mental Issues because I was constantly in pain. Stomach abdominal Pain. he has given me Buscopan. Which barely Works. said I take 3 .a day and Nortriptyline. I personally dont like it but doctors have prescribed it to me in the past.It makes me not function well. I would prefer to take something that doesnt make me feel weird inside.
  • Posted

Nortiptyline is a very old anti-depressant belonging to the Tryicilic ant depressants. I took one about 20 years ago and the side effects for me were a very dry mouth and constipation. I am new to IBS and finding for me the FODMAP is working for me. I would look for an expert in IBS before taking this medication, just me.
  • Posted

This is an antidepressant.  I've never taken it but have taken Cymbalta and Lexapro.  I can say that my IBS is better when on an antidepressant- not cured but better... more good days.

• Posted

nortriptaline is similar to amytriptaline. both were originally developed as antidepressants but have been found to have other uses, often in nerve conditions. I was prescribed amytripatline for stomach pain and it worked very well. it did make me very groggy during the day for the first week, but this wore off over time.
    • Posted

I believe the brand name for amytriptaline is Envil (if spelled correctly).  I was actually just prescribed that on Wednesday.  

I had a really bad 3 weeks- I had a lot of gas bloating and irregular bowl movements.  Even when I moved my bowls I still felt full- despite the amount I went.  

I decided to go back on a small dose of Lexapro instead since they are both antidepressants and I was more familiar with Lexapro.  I did well both physically and emotionally on the Lexapro I only went off of it because it KILLED my libido.  Unfortunately that is a small price I will have to pay. Also, the first symptom of amytriptaline was constipation- since that was my major issue, I thought taking that medication (amytriptaline) would be counterproductive… But that's just me.

I also took Aderall which I believe caused chaos for me internally.  I think that medicine, though an amphetamine,  dehydrated me and slowed down the nerves in my GI track (or made me so hyped up and tende) I was always constipated.  And it was not a normal constipation, I would have bowl movement but would be impacted internally.... to the point I'd end up in the hospital.  I would get so distended that my pants would not fit.  

Today is day two of being off Aderall and being on Lexapro and I feel like a different person.  My IBS symptoms are not gone but are WAY more manageable.  My regimen as per my doctor is to take Mirilax at night and take a bulking fiber.   To G.I. doctors gave me that advice so I feel comfortable with that. I didn't realize bulk fiber literally binds the feces to make it all one mass.  I was always under the impression bulk meant it bulked in your system- which I'm sure it does as well.  

I was taking Senna as my laxative of choice, and I do believe that was causing adverse a fax as well such as cramping and bloating.   I was always told to stay away from Senna but always took it because it did not give you diarrhea like a normal laxative, it made you go more so regularly.  Though MiraLAX did not work for me in the past, I am being optimistic this time and trying things with a new approach and an open mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.