Norvasc 2.5 Caused anxiety and panic attacks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was having problems with my blood pressure going up badly. I was given Norvasc 2.5 and I must say my bp went back to normal with no problem. 3 months into it I was experiencing stomach problems, then joint problems, after that tingling in my face that I ignored it all until 2 months ago. I started experiencing severe dizziness and I mean Severe to the point that I would have to park when driving. When this happened I felt unbalanced and had to lay down and fall asleep or just stay laying down until I felt better. This started interrupting my work because its now happening all day. These past 2 Weeks the dizziness was worst and it made me anxious till the point it caused a panic attack. I Was just told today to stop this med.

I will keep everyone posted on the outcome of this all.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

miriam13562...first of all, I'm sorry to read that you're feeling so miserable.

It may not be the Amlodipine. You could be developing nerve problems. Tingling is a

symptom of nerves. If you start to experience pins/needles, then for sure it's nerves, OR you could also be experiencing some vertigo. Dizziness is a classic symptom, & a lot of people have to lie down for it to subside. 

You were told to stop the med. I hope this came from your doctor. If this is the case, what other medicine was prescribed to you. Just stopping bp medication can cause bp rebound, not something you want.

Good luck..please let us know how you get on .

• Posted

Hi Mike,

Yes my primary Doctor was the one who told me to stop the medication. He stated I am in the smallest doze and it should not be a problem. My bp will be monitored closely because they have done test that show everything is fine. Everything points to this medication thats the only thing I take. To give you a better idea! I am 41 and I smoked for 24 years and decided to stop smoking cold turkey a year and 6 months ago since then my blood pressure went crazy. My highest at that time was 157/111 that was dangerously high according to ER doctors. They started me on a bp medication that didn't agree with me and was changes immediately to Norvasc that worked fine if you ask me. Then 3 months later it turned out that I had multiple symptoms a lot of them described in this forum. I will keep you and all posted on how it goes for me in the next 2 to 3 wks. Thanks for your concern.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you had those problems, but I can confirm that I had them too and when I finally stopped amlodipine (I'm still taking the Losartan HCTZ I've been on for 9 years), all the symptoms dissipated.  For a year I had to take xanax, flexiril, and tramadol...a little overkill for pain and anxiety that wouldn't resolve, but I had to sleep and I run a farm so I had to be mobile.  I'm disturbed to find that amlodipine was at the root of all of that.  Please talk to your doctor and show him the four pages of side effects.  Yours are on there.  I had so much pain in muscles and joints that my doctor sent me for physical therapy.  Needless to say, that only made it worse.  Stopping the drug resolved all but the already existing osteoarthritis pain I've had for decades.  I track my BP daily and found no difference without the amlodipine.  Don't stop without your doctor's approval.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.