Norvasc

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on this drug for 12 months and have felt very ill. `Symptoms include carpal tunnel and anal ulcers.

No body warned me what side effects and I was made to feel it was in my mind.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I prevously was on this drug in Sept./2013, but had to come off because once the dosage was doubled to 10mgs..I had swollen ankles, & legs.

In very early February/2014,, we tried it yet again, but there was a diuretic involved this time. Within a week, I had flushing & burning in my feet & ankles which spread upward to my legs. At one point, I was told "THAT's the Amlodipine doing its job. After months of complaining my doctor feels the Amlodipine is the culprit because of my sensitivitiy to it in the past (Sept.2013), & the best way to find out for sure, is to come off it, which I have done just this past Friday. Although it is early days, I do notice a marked improvement. There is very slight burning..but nothing like it was. Also, it has taken longer to be on my feet the past few days for any heat to start. I'm being cautiously optimistic here, hoping that my doctor was right..that the Amlodipine is indeed the culprit. The Dr. gave me a different prescription, but suggested I come off the Amlodipine, see how I feel...& if the bp didn't rise (because of the cessation of Amlodipine)..not to do anything., BUT if the bp has risen..then to start with the new bp medication. I haven't tested my bp as yet. The past day or so, especially yesterday, I wasn't feeling so good...slight upset stomach, slight headache, just feeling lousy. This morning, I feel much better, but I'm blaming it on withdrawing from the Amlodipine although my Pharmacist told me I could simply stop the Amlodipine without weaning. In my mind, it makes perfect sense that the body would react to something suddenly being taken away. It doesn't have to have a serious reaction, but it likely will take some time for the Amlodipine to flush from my system.

My attitude is...if you can get off the Amlodipine..DO SO. I've read so many complaints on this forum, it's unbelievable. I've even read that in some countries, especially Europe, this medication is BANNED. Horrible stuff.

• Posted

I was put on norvasc 10 mg and 50 mg of atenolol 3 weeks ago and let me tell you it has been a nightmare. I am anxious all the time, dizzy, acid reflux, cant stand for more than a minute without getting dizzy, stomach spasms and thinking i am going to have a stroke and die at any second probably because of the anxiety. I did a stress test on my heart today and had to stop taking the meds for one day for the test and let me tell you that i felt wonderful not drinking these meds.

• Posted

Hi Isaac83740...I too did a stress test a few months ago, & was instructed not to take the meds, because they CAN give false results of the test. Also, Atenolol is a beta blocker, which controls the beats of the heart, etc..so they wouldn't be able to get your heart rate up because of the meds.

Don't be fooled that you were feeling better with just

one day off the meds. Were you told to resume your meds AFTER the tests? You take 50mgs Atenolol...can't you ask your Dr. if you can take 25mg in the morning, then 25mg in the early evening? This is what I do...& don't have a problem. Norvasc is the same as Amlodipine.Are you experiencing swollen ankles/legs? If this were going to happen, I'd suspect it would have happened by now. This swelling is very very common with Norvasc. When getting up from a sitting or lying postion, get up slowly to avoid dizziness. I would say 3 weeks is a fair test, but a lot of doctors want their patients on the newer meds for a month to see how it goes. A month is good enough to give an idea as to whether or not the meds are working properly for your system.

Good luck!!!

• Posted

Thanks for replying mike. No swollen ankles/legs. The side effects i am experiencing are actually making me depressed. Its just constant dizziness to the point of almost falling and passing out. I literally cannot be standing and i cant workout. The stress test went fine and they said it is ok to workout but i cant. I tried working out but almost fainted. On top of it I am having what i think its acid reflux! Yea this is no way to live haha.
    • Posted

Isaac83740..I strongly suggest you get back to your doctor & tell him/her what's going on...you don't like it...it's spoiling your quality of life. There are lots of other bp medications out there without having to take one that's literally making you sick. Also, be sure to tell him about the acid reflex.

Actually, if you can feel the acid reflex starting...sip on COLD water...let the tap run, or if you keep water in the fridge, that's even better. Keep sipping on the water in a constant way...I tend to gulp it which works faster. You'll should instantly get relief. I find this is much better than taking antacids or pills. If the problem persists, tell the doctor.

Hope this helps!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.