Norvasc (Amlodipine) burning sensation

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on Norvasc (Amlodipine) for 2-3 years. I don't remember having any symptoms until recently. It started with a burning sensation in my feet and now it's moved (recently) to my hands. I have had blood tests and nothing else shows, so I'm thinking it might be this drug.

I have read on this site how terrible this drug can be, so I'm thinking about asking my doc to come off of it even though it has helped. My questions are, has anyone had the burning sensation in the hands? I've read the feet, but not the hands. Also, if I do come off the drug, how long until the symptoms might subside?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

hi

this medication has worked well for in terms of lowering my blood pressure. i did have some swelling in both feet, however since lowering to dosage i have been o.k. i have never experienced any tingling on my hands nor feet.

i don,t know long it will take before any symptoms go away. are you sure that the symptoms are caused by the medication.

please let us know how you,re doing.

• Posted

Hello,

I have not experienced burning sensations in my hands. BUT, i occasionally experience pain in the middle right finger for a few minutes. That said, this drug is relatively bearable for me. Some side effects of this drug could be temporary. So watch how long the discomfort in your hands last.

I had heartburns in the past from amlodipine and stopped taking it for a while. (a few months.) I resumed taking it again and the heartburns problems is non existent.

It takes roughly 2 weeks to get this drug out of your system.

• Posted

hi mark,

are you on any of the prils , lisinopril ,fosinopril, as well, diuretic tabs. check them out as well . uk yellow card scheme on web. run by nhs. after me taking lodi for about 15 years ended up with crohns . i don't take them anymore , and i'm still here .lol.

• Posted

Hello Anthony,

I assume lodi is amlodipine right? And after taking it for 15 years you got the chrohn sickness. Are you on any substitute medication since stopping with amlodipine.

I will like to know.

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

hi vic . the only thing i still take is fosinopril 10mg , bendrofluazide, 75 mg aspirin dispersible tab, & eat plenty of potassium foods ,due to water tab. it seems to much water in blood stream makes the heart have to work harder the hypertension drugs cause dry mouth so in my case drink a lot of tea , maybe its having a dry mouth that increases blood pressure, no teeth now due to dry mouth plus the saliva glands not working already had a tumor cut out from side of neck. ,.not to sure on the fosinopril either , they can give you ulcers , so can aspirin , up to now not tried this remedy of Malic acid for dry mouth only just discovered about it just sent for some , For Dry mouth . we shall see when it arrives . sorry my explanation bit long winded but you just check things out before you try follow what i said . good luck .

• Posted

Hi Victoria , just read about Malic acid .a 1 % dilution of Malic Acid , can cure Xerostomia (dry mouth) in antihypertensive induced drugs , maybe the old adage an apple a day keeps the doctor at bay , My theory is if Malic Acid helps with The formation of kidney stones (calcium)from forming , & calcium also is a main thing that causes blockages in arteries that also brings on high blood pressure , ( i not been able to eat an apple coz no Teeth lol) NHS gnashers lol.

• Posted

Hi mark sorry i thought i was replying to Victoria

• Posted

I have been on Amlodipine for a year. In the year my walking and balance have deteriorated. I feel very shaky and have fallen several times. I actually have been using a walker. I started doing some research and found this can be a side effect of the drug. Yesterday I talked to my doctor and took some information I found on the Mayo Clinic site. He agreed to take me off this medicine and doubled my Irbesartan. I did not have the burning sensation in my hands but my hands are peeling in the palms. I did have the burning, hurting, and swelling in my feet. I have read that it takes about 2 weeks to get out of your system. I am very hopeful that my walking will improve after stopping this drug.

• Posted

I've been on Amlodipine for 3 or so years - 34 and became hypertensive after my last baby. I get the hand and beet burning from time to time (actually how I found myself on this site!). It's like a fire just under my skin. It drive me crazy, but because I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, bot necessarily the feeling. I also feel a bit disoriented or off balance from time to time. I really hate that side effect. It does keep my BP stable, but I am curious about finding another drug..

• Edited

Hi Mark

I realize this post is 9 months old but wanted to respond. I take Twynsta (Amlodipine) and I too have the burning effect... according to the side effects of my tablet it def causes this burning effect. Now I will admit that I am also post menopause which in it's own right can exasperate the issue as far as I am concerned... I went to dr today to ask to change my meds, but he has suggested I take half in morning and half at night and see if it will help. Will keep you posted. 2 weeks is about how long it will take.

Tams

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.