Nose bleeds from Amitriptyline

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've been taking Amitriptyline since late janurday and does anyone know if it can cause nose bleeds and blood taste in mouth as been having this for the last few days now .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've never heard of that and i don't think there's anything in it to cause bleeding. The taste of blood in your mouth probably means you've got a tiny amount of blood trickling from the back of your nose into the back of your throat. That would be indicative of a tiny blood vessel in your nose that may need treatment. It's a very common thing that can happen simply by blowing your nose too hard or it may just occur for no obvious reason. See your GP to have your nose looked at. It may just stop on its own but, if not, see your GP.

• Posted

Hi Aaron

I personally do not know if Amitriptyline could be the cause of nose bleeds but when I was on it I definitely had a metallic taste in my mouth which lasted 3 weeks. At this point I had to stop taking this drug because it caused a rare side effect in me which was Sudden Onset Acute Angle Narrow Closure Glaucoma and I was only 4 hours away from being blind when I got to Hospital. Had emergency laser eye surgery and my sight was saved but it just goes to show that not all drugs given are Safe to certain individuals. Everyone is different and some find this drug helpful with pain and sleep etc. with few side effects.

If you concerned about the nose bleeds and taste please see your GP as soon as possible. Perhaps he/she will advise a different drug or put your mind at rest that it is not the cause and should get better in time. Sudden nose bleeds shouldn't be ignored so please make that appointment as soon as possible.

• Posted

Not had that myself it made me have unbearable headaches also felt like killing myself had to stop taking it

• Posted

Hi, these type of meds thin the blood, so if you have any bleeding, I would stop them straight away....very dangerous for anyone also taking warferin, they can also cause a weird taste in the mouth...

• Posted

That's not correct. Taking amitriptyline with some drugs, such as Warfarin can increase the levels of amitryptiline in your blood. Warfarin can make you bleed but not the amitriptyline. Amitriptyline is not a blood thinner.

Taking some antidepressants with amitriptyline can raise your blood pressure . If your BP is high, that can cause nosebleeds. As Aaron has just seen his GP about his nosebleeds, I expect the GP will have taken his BP but he would also know if he was taking antidepressants

• Posted

Amitriptyline has been around for well over 50 years and was originally used as an antidepressant. It is known as a cheap and cheerful drug these days as new and far more expensive drugs are being aggressively marketed. Whatever side effects are experienced by patients the Doctor who wrote the script should still be told however long they have been around. Nose bleeds always should be treated as a good reason to go back to the prescribing GP as a matter of concern. I hope Aaron has now spoken to or seen his GP and feels more aware of whether he should continue on this drug or not. I hope he updates us when he can as information as to whether this was a side effect or a different problem would be welcome I am sure as so many members are on it.

• Posted

Hi all I spoke to doctor on Friday and he said to stop taking the tablet and the nose bleeds have stop so far I still get a blood taste in mouth and a dry mouth and a sore throat but I bet that link to the tablets I'm on because I'm also on one for acid reflux and floxtome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.