Nose/sinus stuffiness?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, since I've been having these symptoms that the doctor puts down to acid reflux i've been noticing really blocked ears and a full feeling in my sinuses. Does anyone else get this? I don't get the usual heartburn, more of a burning irritation on my chest, hoarse voice etc and the omeprazole doesn't seem to be working (I've just started week 5 at 20mg a day) so I was.wondering if this is a reflux symptom or if it could point to it being something other than reflux.

Thanks!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I had these symptoms in my nose too, I thought it might be polyps or something, done lots of sneezing too. Annoying phlegm at the back of my throat too. I was on omeprazole for about 10 years 40mg then I changed over to Esomeprazole ( Nexium) 40mg it worked a bit better but I still had all the symptoms.

9 weeks ago tomorrow I had fundloplication to fix it all with hiatus hernia repair too. My nose is clear, I still have a little bit of phlegm and sneezing ( which is sore with surgery recovery) but glad I did it.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I seem to get a lot of post nasal drip too which doesn't help the sore throat! I also seem to have a sensitive nose for sneezing. I get hay fever but even spraying a little perfume can set me off. I seem to get most symptoms in my throat and nose rather than heartburn or stomach problems. I'm glad the op went well for you. I'm only on 20mg omeprazole and I know both my brother and dad (who have had bad reflux for years) were on 40+ initially to get it under control before they could be reduced so maybe i haven't been started off on enough. I have heard that when the symptoms come up to your throat and chest though it can also take longer to see results. Although the acid is reduced the liquid still splashes up causing irritation so maybe I just need to be more patient but its hard when its having such an impact on my life. Xx

• Posted

Hi,

Propping yourself up at night helps a bit too, laying flat allows the acid to trickle up into your throat, I don't know about you but is your throat more sore in the morning and cough worse this may help it.

I was also on top of the 40mg of Nexium taking ranitadine and copious amounts of gaviscon, it's such a joy even though it's early days yet I've not had any ppi meds, only paracetamol, ibuprofen and a few Deflatine as op causes more wind..

Margaret.

• Posted

I tend to have a constant burning irritation rather than bad heart burn that comes and goes. I do get some time when it goes away, usually in the afternoons but I always wake up with it. I've tried propping myself up on pillows but I usually end up slipping off so maybe I need to buy a proper wedge pillow. I tend to notice my throat feels worse later in the day but i think thats because i have to speak a lot in my job so i'm aggravating it throughout the day.

The most recent symptom I've noticed is tension in my neck and back of my jaw but I think I'm tensing up where I'm so stressed with the constant irritation.

I'm glad the surgery went well and it sounds really promisingsmile

Xx

• Posted

Hi there I live in the UK,  I had for about a year having reflux burning in my nose,throat and have had to sleep sitting up, and yes not to eat any thing after 5pm,  even biscuits after 5 would rip me apart.  In the end it was proven that I have a hernia, my op at last now is on the 5 of next month. but It did take me a long time to convince doctors that I was not a well person,  I had to have a berrium swallow  so they could see into my food issues, it was then the nurse told me that I had a hernia issue.  I did not know till them.  but it has made me quite ill now   last week I had a ct scan, as my hernia is moving into my chest and is causing issues with eating  more than a slice of bread with soup, and Im full.  so roll on next month.  Please go to your doctor and get your reflux sorted as it could be like me    and dont eat after 5 pm  Jo Cambridge  uk.
  • Posted

I have blocked nose all the time. Believe it to be due to Omeprazole and my vit b12 dropping. Have stopped Omeprazole. Nasty drug!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.