Not a question - a warning!

Posted , 14 users are following.

Mirtazapine has destroyed my life.

Complete adhenioa and apathy after it pooped-out.

Suffering with akathasia while trying to come off, along with many other withdrawel effects.

Wish I had done cbt....none of this would have happened.

Give me my old anxiety back anyday. Ruined me and my family.

3 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sarah, I am so sorry to hear this. I took mirtazpine for a very short time, but I didn't like it while I was taking it. Not sure if I went through withdrawal when I quit it -- lots of anxiety, but could be for many different reasons. I sincerely hope you start to feel better. My thoughts are with you.
    • Posted

Thank you. I never once thought about suicide before anti-depressants.

Its cruel that my doctor never acted upon my worries.

We should all be aware of drug side effects and outweigh the benefits.

If you have a bad reaction - stop it. I wish I had done....too late now.

• Posted

What is pooped out Sarah? CBT didn't work recently as I couldn't engage or understand because of mental breakdown. I'm having another bad episode because I tapered off Sertraline because it decreases production of thyroid hormone. Which has contributed to underactive thyroid. And now struggling through on 15mg mirtazapine at night. I'm eventually going to taper off this too. I like you need to find an alternative but only with professional help from mental health psychiatrist.
    • Posted

Poop-out means the drug stops working. This may happen gradually or sudden as in my case. I started getting side affects as my body is rejecting the drug but also got to face withdrawel on top of this.

when you come to withdraw - do it slowly. Many people don't get withdrawels but it's safer to do it slow. 10% every 4 weeks.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice and I really hope you gradually find some way forward 
    • Posted

Sarah, how long have you been on it and for how long. I agree withdrawal must be gradual. I've cut down from 45 to 30 and will cut again in a month.
    • Posted

5 years. You may want to go slower. Listen to your body. I am shaving off a mg at a time. I am sensitive. The slower the better for some. Not quite sure how some people have no trouble withdrawing and yet others do.

hope it goes well for you.

• Posted

I'm in your corner on this Sarah. Whether it's moral or not! There is indeed a lack of information from pharmaceutical companies and GP's on the long term use of these meds. 
    • Posted

Thank you. I will never forgive my doctor for pushing this crap on me.

I am grieving for myself all day - I would have all of my limbs removed to actually feel like my old self again....sounds extreme but this is bad.

Many people out there are medicated for bi-polar after an adverse reaction to an anti-depressant. I could have been one of them.

Cruel

• Posted

Hi Sarah.

I am curious -- did a doctor tell you about the "poop-out" phenomenon? Because I think I may be suffering from the same thing -- but no one has ever told me that if you go off SSRIs, they may never work again for me. I am wondering if this is common knowledge?

• Posted

Yes a very good phyciatrist named dr Healy is well aware of what drugs can do. Antidepressants may well work for you again. Everybody is different. 

Tolerance to a drug is similar. People up dose there drug - this may work for a while.

• Posted

Also, many doctors are un-aware of this.

I've given up with my doctor.

• Posted

I have been on Mirt for over a year, went up to 45mg and have very gradually reduced to 15mg,I agree you have to go with your own body, no disrespect but I do feel most people who have or who have had a depressive illness have more knowledge of the condition and how it affects them than a GP. I have had a few episodes and have found this is the best med for me but my earliest med was seroxate and that was horrific. I have found mindfulness helps in between episodes and can help to reduce the severity of future episodes. 
    • Posted

One medication for someone can be a bummer for the next person. We all have to understand that throwing chemicals at the brain is not an exact science. If a problem happens, definitely talk to your doctor (or insist on seeing another doctor) if something goes wrong.

Mirt has helped me faster than any SSRI and does not give me insomnia problems. All SSRIs gave me insomnia. Seroxat made me feel like I was invincible and kind of like I was on amphetamines and allowed me to drink shed loads of alcohol. Not exactly the most ideal medication for me. On Mirt I can relax and be content self or at least 90% myself.

• Posted

You are so right, Luke. One man's poison is another's life-saver. However, Sarah makes an interesting point, one that I had not heard -- that if you've been on an SSRI for a long time, and then gone off it, another SSRI may not work because it has changed your brain chemistry. It's all a crap-shoot, as far as I'm concerned. I am now taking 20 mgs Celexa, but it doesn't really seem to be helping. Mirt did change my mood, and very quickly, but I just could not handle the constant hunger and subsequent weight gain. So I stayed on it for a couple of months and then stopped.
    • Posted

Yes, I have to tell my doctor of the side-effects. He was wanting me to take the "full" dose of 30 mg yest it was mang me sleep up to 12 hours. If I havean early appointment I generally don't take any.
    • Posted

Absolutely.   The garbage that they are not addictive?  I don't know many people who have ever managed to give them up.  I am giving it a go.  After 18 years on and off.  I now realise my first ""episode" was merely a severe reaction to a valium tablet.  these meds have destroyed my life.
    • Posted

I had no problem giving it up. Indeed the results of giving up ie having less problems urinating and particularly no more backpain, no moresedation in the morning and needing 7 hours rather than 9 hours sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.