Not an ilingual hernia but a blood clot?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I finally got an ultrasound (4 month wait) for what definitly seemed to be a ilingual hernia.  After suffering the pain and aching of this, not to mention the uncomfortable bulge that seemed to come and go several times a day, I was happy to finally be getting the results of my ultrasound today.  So my doctor told me there doesn't seem to be any noticeable hernia but a blood clot in that same area, possibly caused from a torn muscle.  The blood clot is big enough to be felt, even when the ultrasound tech would pass over it.  My doctor said I could wait for an MRI (takes about a year) or go ahead with the wait of a consult with a surgeon.  So I chose surgeon.  So here I wait.... with no answers.  I was not told if this could be serious or not.  Should I be concerned?  Is this considered a deep vein thrombosis?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well the doctors don't seem very concerned about it, when I had my clot I was admitted to hospital and had the MRI within hours. I was in hospital two,weeks.  You say the clot is big enough to be felt but it sounds very small, my clot was from the back of my knee, up the back on my thigh, through my groin and then all across my abdomen. Are you on any blood thinners?  I had them by injection first and now I take them orally for life. You would normally be on them were it a clot.   I would go back and ask you doctor for clarification. 

• Posted

you are right, my doctor does not seem concerned.  I am not on any thinners.  This was just found out today and my doctor only said that she would put a referal through to the surgeon for a second opinion.  I am concerned of the discomfort that I have had for the last 6 months.  It seems to disrupt my day a lot.  Could a blood clot just be left alone with no threat to health?  They believe it was caused from trauma.. possibly a torn abdominal muscle.  I am confused.  I guess you hear blood clot and think can these not break loose and travel?  
    • Posted

Yes bits can break off and travel but I think the risk is lessened as the clot gets older and large as mine was, nothing broke away.  Do you know what surgeon you are seeing?  it would be a vascular surgeon for a clot 
    • Posted

I am still waiting for a call to book an apt with the surgeon.  It sure takes a long time here to get things dealt with.  What a pain, literally!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.