Not an MRI but MRE- Elastography- Anyone have any experience with it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm supposed to have a MRE performed in a few weeks to check for liver damage. I've been told it's an alternative to a liver biopsy. Has anyone had the Elastography test done?

What was your experience? Were the results accurate? Did it give you information that could help with your care?

Thanks for your help!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had one in 2010. In this elastography it was found that I had chronic hepatitis.

After a lot of examinations and many normal ultra sound sonography tests this disease was not confirmed until today. All other measurements in this elastography were correct. This was in 2010. I don't know ,after seven  years, if the technology has been improved, so I don't want to influence you. The only thing that they found all these years in my liver was little fat  which ,after I lost ten pounds ,was not mentioned

in this year's examination.

• Posted

Wow! So the elastography test diagnosed your hepatitis? Did you ever have an actual liver biopsy done?

Thanks for sharing your experience! I appreciate it!

• Posted

All tests I have done have excluded any hepatitis (A, B, or C). The doctor advised me to make a vaccin for hepatitis B which was more dangerous to catch in a Hospital and was difficult to cure in my age , which I did. Since then I have no problem with my liver . I did not have any biopsy because it was not necessary .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.