Not been to loo since Thursday

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there, I am starting to get worried now as I have not been to the loo since Thursday and it's Sunday today. It's so not like me. I am usually as regular as clockwork and go first thing every morning and if not every morning, alternate mornings. I wouldn't mind but I've not had an stomach pain or anything and god knows I've eaten enough since Thursday. I don't feel sick or bloated or anything. I have started taking Lactulose today in hope that it gets things moving. If the Lactulose doesn't work after a few days, does anyone know what would help? Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi can't promise anything as we're all different, but I've always used Psillium for years which you can get in loose husks from any Health shop. Rarely have the blocked problem but had it a couple of days ago again; ok today. Just mix it up vigorously with water.

Hope this is of some help...

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi John, Thanks for that. Not heard of Psillium before. I take it you drink the whole lot down once you have mixed the husks into the water? How much water to husks would you say?

This is so frustrated when I have been as regular as clockwork for as long as I can remember.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Shirley I'd suggest you do a proper Google and Wikipedia search first to become familiar with everything. If you then want to try it ring your nearest health shop and check first but I'd be surprised if they don't stock it.

Btw slight spelling error it's Psyllium.

Personally I take half a cup full of water, then a heaped teaspoonful and stir vigorously, then drink it as you would normally. There'll still be a few husks left so watch them and you'll see them expand into a jelly like substance. With me I was all ok within a couple of hours, but as I said to begin with we're all different.

Let's know how you get on....

Good luck :-)

• Posted

Hi John, Thanks for your quick response. Yes I will have a look on Google etc and see what I think. Nearest health food shop is Holland and Barrett only a couple of miles away so no problem to pop in sometime. I will remember the Y in Psyllium.

An heaped teaspoonful in half a cup of water sounds about right. Yes we are all different aren't we. It might clear me out quicker or slower. Which ever way it is, it sounds good.

I always thought that constipation meant that you were getting the urge to go but couldn't do anything when you got to the loo. In my case, I've not been getting any urge which is most unusual for me.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Shirley

Not sure what the correct word should be which is why I just call it blocked. I don't get any urge either but it's when the usual daily etc. routine alters that subconsciously I become aware of it missing. Like getting to the front door in the mornings with a final quick glance into the hall mirror and find you're not wearing a tie....confused

• Posted

Yep blocked is a better description isn't it. Thought it was just me who wasn't getting any urge. Yes I have become aware of it missing these last few days too. Hopefully it will return. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.