Not being able to sleep at a half decent time.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am going into the doctors on the 9th about my anxiety so don't worry about me getting help there... But that is a while away. Now, for some reason I can't get to bed at a half decent time. And I am staying up later and later each night. When I tried to go to bed last night at around 2 in the morning for some reason I couldn't. I would lie there and my mind would get flooded by bad thoughts. At first I was calm and was like, it is all right sheldon, it will pass. But then they started to come more and I reached a point where I spoke out load and said "stop it". When that happened I knew something wasn't right, it honestly scares me, I almost feel like I am going insane. So I got up and put on a TV show and pushed the thoughts out with that. And they kept me up for another hour. Anyway I don't know what I am looking for in this post. Just it scared me, and I would like some input and tips to getting to bed. Thank for reading this.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sheldon. I know exactly how you're feeling. I'm in the same boat. A couple months ago I could sleep fine and usually fell asleep around 12 or 1 am. Slept through the whole night fine. Lately on a very rare occasion that I fall asleep before 5 am I wake up every hour and the sleep is completely pointless. When I wake up I have this overwhelming sad feeling and I go into a panic. Then I'm up even later than I would if I just waited and went to sleep when I was extremely exhausted. Lately I haven't been able to sleep before 7 am. I know that's crazy. I also feel like I'm losing my mind. When I attempt to sleep I have bad thoughts too. Sometimes I even let them increase until I go into a really bad panic attack and it takes a long time for me to calm myself down. I'm sorry you have to go through this too. Goodluck and I hope you can get some advice!

• Posted

I, too, often can't sleep until it's light out. My circadian rhythm is off. I call it The Vampire Syndrome.lol

• Posted

I used to be exactly the same, my sleeping has improved majorly, but when I was getting panic attacks I would wake up every hour in a panic. I know TV is probably a great distraction, but have you tried calming audios or tapes. Ones with a calming voice, explaining to you that it's just anxiety and it will pass. The music and the voice really calms me down, having that extra bit of reassurance. What I would do is fall asleep then when I wake up put the audio on, then fall asleep, wake up and go through that pattern.

• Posted

I feel the same. I used to be a sleep by 10, now it's not until 2. I feel like I am going insane too, it really worries me and I feel like it is getting worse. I tried tensing up my whole body and slowly relaxing from feet upwards, it made me feel better and I got to sleep. How do you deal with the fear? That's what I am struggling with. I hope you get better soon x

• Posted

For me I kinda just nudge the fear away by watching something that distracts me from it. I don't know if that is a good way of doing it but it works for me to atleast get me to sleep at some point. Just when I try to deal with the fear all on my own well, I can't. I feel like it will make me cry and such and I don't like that at all, I just can't. So I as quickly as I can turn on something to entertain/ distract me.

• Posted

Saying stop it to yourself is fine. You became aware of yourself overthing and wanted it to stop. So no thats not insanity you dont need to yell it lol but its fine to talk out loud to self calm in the privacy of your room. You need to make yourself a deal when you lay in your bed that is a no overthinking zone. Period. Once youre in bed only allowed to note things you are grateful for, no matter how small. If you begin to overthing get out of bed. Clean your room, wash your face do jumping jacks, sit ups or push ups. Do an action. If there is a situation that is bothinering you write it down in a notebook and write down what problem solving skills fit the situation. Then write down how it made you feel or why you had the need to revisit this situation. If its in the past trash the thought completly. You cant go back and relive it. If you feel you made a mistake write down how the situation could be handled better. See then you addressed it but stop there. Anything past that is overthinking and no lesson.  Most people review their day at night thats normal. If its negative and insulting thats not reviewing your day. That is self abuse. Serves no ourpose at all. If someoneis rude to you at school thats on them, not you. This is not utopia, not a perfect world and your thoughts are just thoughts no need to make them facts.
    • Posted

Thanks so much. You really worded it perfectly. Made me feel alot better about myself, and that whole situation. Thanks I will try that as well. Glad not to be alone but say the same time it would be better to be alone, so no one else has to deal with it. But life is life. Thanks.
  • Posted

Anxiety is a racy mind, and it will drive us nuts. Why don't you think your doc will help, and I am perplexed that they didn't tell you to come right in. Wow, I would look for a new one if that happened to me, and I didn't have faith in them. You need a appt. now. This is crazy.

• Posted

I think my doctor will be able to help. It is just this is the first time, and it is not directed at anxiety I don't think and it is more of for a run down to make sure everything phisicly is alright I think, and then he will probably direct me to someone a tharapsits or something. I guess it is treated as more of a standard doctors appointment.

• Posted

Anxiety is a standard doctor's appt. They should beable to treat you. Save your money and not go to a therapist. They cannot give meds. Waste of money, and time.

• Posted

Ok, I honestly don't know what is going to happen I am only going by what I think might happen. We will probably figure it all out then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.