Not being able to work for over a year can I claim sickness?

Posted , 4 users are following.

im in constant pain all the time not to mention a lot of other symptoms can you claim DIsabilitie allowance for fibromyalgia 

vanessa

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You can't claim DLA anymore - it was closed down - the new benefit is PIP.

You cannot claim a benefit because of an illness or diagnosis. The criteria is how it affects your life and how well you fit those diificulties into the various boxes (descriptors) that make up PIP - It's a points scoring exercise.

If you do claim PIP don't be too upset if you get turned down with 0 points. You have to have a strong personality to be able to fight the DWP all the way to the courts. 

• Posted

Likewise you could claim ESA - a benefit for those that are too sick/disabled to work.

You have either to have paid enough National Insurance contributions in over the past 2 years or have little or no money/savings coming into the household.

Once again it is a box ticking exercise where you score points - get the magic 15 points and you are given the benefit.

• Posted

I am doing just that. My PiPS was stopped in January after shoulder surgery that has still not healed yet.A year ago before the operation I was awarded 2 yrs on the enhanced rate as I have had a frozen shoulder for 4 years and Fibromyalgia for over nine years.
  • Posted

I have fibromyalgia, polymyalgia rhumatica, diabetes and severe arthritis in both knees which means I can barely walk. I applied for pip and went for an assessment which was quite humiliating only to be turned down. I do get esa and am in the support group and I also have recently been awarded a blue badge so I can park more easily. Hope you can get some help. Debbie
    • Posted

My wife (71) too has similar problems.

She applied for DLA when she was a few weeks off being 65 and was turned down flat. a month or so later when she was 65, she applied for Attendance Allowance - turned down flat so it went to a Tribunal. They too turned her down and actually recorded in their decision that she nor I (I attended on her behalf) were not truthful, and that the claims made were 'exaggerated and inconsistent'. Two weeks later she put in a new AA claim (same conditions, same difficulties) Some weeks later she was advised that the maximum day and night award would be given to her indefinitely given the difficulties she has and the unlikely even that they will improve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.