Not confident in recent asthma diagnosis... please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

exactly one week ago i was playing hockey which is somthing i do once or twice a week with no issue.

This game was different... i felt good during the game but about 20 mins after leaving i started having pressure in my chest and had a hard time breathing. im a 25 year old male and had my heart looked at last year which was perfect (diagnosed with costocondritis)

My troubles breathing continued through the night, lying on my back made it so much worse. after not sleeping all night i went to a walk in clinic the next morning. that morning i had developed a bit of a cough and the pain in my chest was bad.

the doc listened to my lungs and said she thought it was asthma... gave me a script for ventolin as needed and Qvar twice daily for a month.

after a week of using these thing im not getting any better... rarley do i cough its just kind of a constant pressure in my chest and shortness of breath.

i also recently started a ppi for reflux.

i know none of this was going on before that game.. its not anything like the rib pain or reflux...could i have lung damage? can those drugs be making it worse?? please help me 😦

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

having lived through years of what you are going through

you have to see a RESPIROLOGIST get the proper texts, as long

AS I AM CAREFUL with dairy, and wheat products...i still

am on low dose of steroid.

Please consider meditstion as we realize anxiety makes it worse

cutting out all dairy helped me

• Posted

Hi,

You don't mention how the Asthma diagnosis was reached, other than a doc listening to your chest?

I've been diagnosed as suffering with asthma for 6 months, only to find I actually have a Pulmony Embolism (blood clot) within my lungs. This resulted in hospitalization, heart damage and 3 weeks absence from work.

My symptoms were similar to yours, a tight chest and trouble catching my breath. I was able to breath in and out but it seemed the oxygen was not getting into my bloodstream. Peak flow tests showed my peak flow to be the same as 20 years ago.

I'd advise you to push your GP for actual testing to prove the Asthma diagnosis using recognized methods, such as a FeNo test or Spirometry. I don't think listening to your chest will be enough.

Asthma UK provide a great online resource for Asthma sufferers, as does the British Lung Foundation. They contain details of the testing used to diagnose Asthma, as does the NHS website

Best of luck

Matt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.