Not depressed but reading about antidepressants

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All

Is anyone taking a form of antidepressant for there symptoms ? im not taking anything at the moment so wondering if anyone has any feed back from taking ?, its very confusing trying to decide what is the best thing to take. TIA

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

was reluctant to take antidepressants but my Gp said they would help with menopause symptoms. She gave me Venlafexine xl. The first 7-10 days were awful dreams, nausea, tiredness but now after 4 weeks I'm calmer, no anxiety, more energy, seems to help with aches and pains. Helps with hot flushes too. I'm glad I've had them. 

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I'm seriously thinking about it too. My Dr says I need to get more sleep and it should help with that. I"ve been prescribed the same thing as Nita just haven't taken them yet....

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I am thinking about trying them as well, so am interested in what people reply. I have a very poor sleep quality and wake un non-refreshed feeling foggy all day xx

• Posted

Hi - Yes I take Amitriptyline 30mg, I had back,muscle & joint pain, these tablets have worked wonders, no pain even my sciatica pain I had has gone! I did fell sleepy but you do get used to them & I have been on them about 6 weeks!

• Posted

When I was thought I was going crazy and having thoughts about death(my family, friends, and mine). My doctor put me on a old school antidepressant called Trazodone. I take 100mg nightly. When he first put me on them he told me to call him in two weeks, since it would probably take that long for the meds to kick in. I was driving to work on morning and I found my self humming along with the music on the radio and no crazy thoughts. I had been on them three days! I also have Valium for the occasional panic attack, which is not often these days, praise God. Hope this helps. Everyone is different. One doctor put me on Zoloft and I thought I was dying. Zoloft takes four to six  weeks to kick in and during that time it was a nightmare, I felt terrible. I had the shakes, no appetite, joint paint, wanted to cry, and absolute couldnot deal with people. I'm told this is normal for most Zoloft users. I makes you feel worse before it makes you feel better. Well, I was feeling bad enough and stopped taking it after three days and felt so much better. I don't think something should make you feel worse before feeling better when you're already dealing with the horrors of Menopause!  lol! God Bless!

• Posted

Hi there.  I'm 47 and started taking low dose Sertraline (Zoloft) 25mg about 8 weeks ago soley for unbearable hot flashes (10-12 a day) and night sweats.  It worked so well I do not have these symptoms at all anymore.  My dr increased it 2 weeks ago to 50mg because I have some new mild anxiety.  Big mistake for me! as my legs and feet are driving me insane.  They ache and I have numbness and tingling. Cold then hot sensations and cramping calves. I can't sleep or sit still during the day so I am now back on 25mg (as per my dr) and I plan to wean off of it asap as I'm almost positive that it's side effects from the Zoloft.  I am dreading the return of the flashes and night sweats tho but the lower extremity discomfort is just not worth it for me sad  

• Posted

I was on antidepressants for around 15 years after the death of my father. I tried many times to come off them and found it extremely difficult. I had no support from my doctor. I felt that I was on my own. If I had my time over again I would not have started taking them. I have now been antidepressant free for one year now, I found cbt helped me.

• Posted

Dear Jenny, sorry to hear how aline you felt. It can't have been easy. You don't have answer it but if you don't mind me asking why wouldn't you have started them if you had support. What was not good about taking them please? I am asking this only because like many of us here I am also trying to make a decision on whether to start them or not. Rake good care

• Posted

There came a time when I thought I could cope without the antidepressants so started to lower the dose slowly, but a few weeks in my anxiety returned with avengence so I had to up the antidepressants. Many times I tried this at different times in my life but still could not come off them. In the end the doctor put me on a different antidepressant and with  the help of cbt  was able to come off them.When you have been on them for 15 years you wonder if you will ever be able to come off them, when I did I suffered tinnitus  and still do today, also I had an horrific itchy rash all over my body which took months to go.If antidepressants work for you then I am pleased but coming off them in my case  was hard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.