Not depressed, but taking Fluoxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello people, i would be very greatful if anyone can help me with this one. I have a friend who is not depressed (i know that for sure), but she some how has convinced the doctor the she is depressed and she has been put on Fluoxetine 20mg.

I just want to know is it safe to take fluoxetine if your not depressed, if not what are the out comes. Please i need help with this, i am very concerned about my friend, she is doing this so she can get attention, i have known her since we were 5, she has done things to get attention before thats why i know she is not depressed.

Please could anyone take their time out and answer this question for me, thank you.

Sarah

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your friend is lucky that you care. Sometimes attention seeking behaviour can be a symptom of low self esteem and depression, so im not sure if your friend doesnt need them.

Maybe you should look up some of the nastier side effects/ effects of fluoxetine such as insomnia, sweating, nausia and suicidal thoughts to tell your friend in order to scare her, if she really is depressed then she'll take them anyway as the alternatives can seem much worse.

Some people become very good at hiding the symptoms of their depression from those closest to them so i would also advocate that you advise your friend to seek councelling.

• Posted

Thank You Tra,

At first i use to think the same that she really was hiding things, but we live next door to eachother and we see eachother more than we see any other people from our family.

I dont know what to think, i am scared that she might start taking them and something bad is going to happen.

She has great parents, brothers and sisters who are very close to her aswell. She has been telling everyone that she is on anti-depressents, she gets some kind of satisfactions when some one is worried about her. Her parents are loving and caring, if she is not depressed and if she is taking fluoxetine can that be life threatning?

and if anyone falls into coma, how long do they stay in coma?

Please i really need to know, she is really worrying me.

Sarah.

• Posted

As I said, you have the internet, the worlds library in your own home, although a little information can often be a dangerous thing.

I dont think your friend will fall into a coma but i never say never.

Remember, more deaths are caused by accidents in the home that by using/misusing drugs.

Be a good friend and keep an eye out. If your friend takes her meds, dont worry but watch out for mood swings and signs of depression. If your friend stops being herself ie. attention seeking and brazen, and starts acting quiet, nervous, paraniod or insular, then get her back to her gp asap.

Your friend will do whatever she wants to, regardless of how much you worry or what you think, is she really worth you making yourself ill?

We worriers tend to miss too much of our own lives through tring to look after people who niether deserve nor care about our constant attention, surely your giving her exactly what she wants?

Try not to stress and take care of yourself. xx

• Posted

SSRIs are prescribed regularly for anxiety disorders among other things; not just depression. It's safe to take them without being depressed.

It's likely that she will stop taking them after a few days though -- they're not \"happy pills\", quite the opposite at the start. It takes at least 2 weeks for the intense anxiety, depression, suicidality, nausea, insomnia and other side effects to start to disappear, and I think it's really unlikely someone would go through all that without a problem that's really affecting their life.

If she does keep on them, you'll notice her being quite unstable for a few weeks, then after a month or two you'll probably notice a more positive attitude in her, along with a loss of libido and sexual function.

Tell her about the side effects, and watch for suicidal moods if she ignores your advice.

• Posted

Thank advice Tra and Dan, it helped alot. I will watch out for any changes in my friend.

Thank you Guyz.

Sarah.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.