Not diagnosed but feeling to ill to work, advice please, panicking

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks,

I am 57 and have been aware of mouth problems for about a year, visited my doctor about it and I have been waiting for an appointment with a neurologist for over three months and my doctor thinks I have MS. I am now very quickly having more symptoms, muscle cramps, pain, fatigue, headache, a little bit  nasal speech, problems with heat and cold and ballance and numbness are a few. To be honest just feeling rubbish. The worry is my husband has chronic pain issues and unable to work but is not receiving benefits because of it, he has never looked into it as he has been househusband looking after our youngest children. I have a couple of businesses, self employed  and the only wage earner. We live in a rented house. Today I realise I am not fit for work at the moment, it exhausts me to much. How do I access  any benefits we might be entitled to? We are panicking now and dont know how to move things forward.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen

Where do you live?

I am in a similar position as I am main breadwinner and we have kids and I don't know if I can sustain my symptoms. Try not to worry until you get a diagnosis.

J

• Posted

Hi Helen

Go to the citizens advise bureau . You will need a diagnosis before you claim any form of disability. Could you survive if you both had a disability allowance? Your health is your wealth! I wish you well, and you are not alone. Regards health care you need to be consistent in phoning them to make sure you are heard.

Good luck. J

• Posted

Are you sure I need a diagnosis to get disability? That could well be over a year down the line, and what if it's not thought to be MS, that's crazy!! I have not even been given an appointment to see a neurologist and I am 4 months in but not well sad

• Posted

Not completely sure you might get somewhere with a doctor's letter. Check this out with citizens advice.

J

• Posted

Hi Helen

Sounds like you need some professional advice.  Not knowing where you live I can only suggest things that we

have available here in the USA.  How long has your husband had chronic pain issues?  Is he being seen by a

Doctor for this? Is he on pain management?  He should have applied for disability when this first became an issue.  You are the only wage earner. Do you have retirement savings?  Life / Disability insurance?? 

Do you have Short Term or Long Term disability insurance?  Many questions come to mind.  You are still young

and you don't want to wipe out your life savings due to this medical issue you are having.  Start with your Doctor and ask for a list of resources to help you determine what direction and steps you need to be taking now.

If you are in the USA, You can also check out your state's website, government agencies, health and financial

assistance.  I wish you the Best Helen.  Don't delay, start making a list, make phone calls, and get some clarity of what needs to be done.  Take Care  Keep in touch  ~  Faith

• Posted

Hi Helen assuming you are in the UK contact your local welfare rights officer your husband probably qualify for pip maby you will as well anyway they will advise you and fill in any forms or you could visit citizens advice b euro they too will advise and do the form filling .
  • Posted

Hi again and thanks for all your advice. Today had a positive visit to the citizens advice with a loverly lady and so I have phoned for my pip, my husband will do it tomorrow, he was just too stressed and exhausted today. 

I don't want to go back into work, it's such a hard thing to accept as I am never usually I'll and quite proud of all the clients I have built up but my work is very physical. I just want to let myself accept I am ill and relax instead of ignoring how awful I have been feeling and soldering on. My symptoms seem to be progressing, within a week I have gone from the odd muscle spasm as I am falling asleep to about one every second, I can only compare it to a sensation of "popping candy" with cramps thrown in! Also today very nasal and stumbling over words through my sentences, not nice and a little embarrassing sad 

Thanks again smile x

• Posted

So that's me waking up this morning hardy able to believe I phoned all my clients to tell them I can't work at the moment and to get cover to replace me, lying here in bed I feel ok and wonder if it's "gone away" but I start typing this message and my hand feels weak and I can remember waking a couple of times to find myself gasping for breath last night. I can also recall trying to cook last nights tea, hardly being able to open a tin and feeling like the knife I was using to chop the vegetables must be blunt... But it wasn't sad

• Posted

Dear Helen

You are unwell. You need to rest. Ask for support from whoever, people are glad to help. Try to occupy yourself with a film, book, journal. But this is your time to rest. Mind yourself, be gentle with you. This will pass and you will feel better but for now let go.

X J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.