Not Digesting Fat

Posted , 5 users are following.

I haven't been able to digest fat for a very long time . Just small amounts

have me rushing to the loo and give me awful stomach pain.

I've been thinking that if I have the operation and have my gallbladder removed I will end up worse off as most people have to stick to a low fat diet after surgery and are still in lots of pain , plus there's the problem of suffering diarrhoea.

I'm living on mashed potatoes at the moment, looks like this won't change after surgery.

Thoughts please.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Living on mashed potatoes isn't the answer. Your body needs protein and a certain amount of healthy fat--proper nutrition.  

If you're rushing to the bathroom after eating, there could be other things wrong rather than your gallbladder.  

Have you been to a gastroenterologist to have some tests done--have you had any tests done? A diseased gallbladder shouldn't be kept in your body.  It can rupture and become cancerous. It can also unfavorably impact your other organs, panceas, liver, intestines and stomach.  

• Posted

Hi

I only rush to the bathroom if I eat anything fatty, eg turkey or chicken . I can't eat anything greasy at all.

I have had an ultrasound which showed gallstones.

I'm okay if I eat very low fat / no fat.

I'm waiting to see a gastroenterologist but I'm on the waiting list for gallbladder removal. I'm wondering if it's fat malabsorbsion that's causing my symptoms.

• Posted

I see.  So, personal question, what's the consistency of your stools?  Are they surrounded by bright yellow liquid?

• Posted

My stools are normal if I avoid fat. If I eat fat then yes I

get yellow diarrhea. I've looked up fat malabsorbsion and I've

got almost all the symptoms. Don't know what to do next.

• Posted

Okay, what I think you have is bile acid malabsorption.  It can happen for two reasons.  The first reason could be that your gallbladder serves as a storage tank and a valve for the bile. When it becomes diseased, it's no longer capable of properly measuring, and you get a flood of bile into your small intestine whenever you eat fat.

The second reason could be that  the human body makes a hormone that allows the bile to be absorbed at the end of the digestive process.  If the body stops making the hormone, the bile can't be absorbed.  With both of these you can get an abundance of bile. 

There is a medication that can be taken to bind the excess bile, so you don't get diarrhea when you eat fat.

• Posted

Dear Linda

Eating mashed potato all the time is no way to live and it's also not healthy. Months before I got gallbladder attacks I'd often get diarrhoea which at the time I'd put down to having eaten something that was 'off'. These attacks of diarrhoea were strange in that I'd get one episode, then be ok for a few days. It was like certain foods just came straight through me and the diarrhoea was yellow in colour. Since my surgery earlier this year, I've only had one episode of diarrhoea and that was soon after my surgery. The hospital put me on Omeprazole which I still take and I've had no problems since. I do eat low fat, because I want to achieve a healthy weight, but I've dabbled with pizza and have a Chinese takeaway most weeks without problems. I also only eat wholemeal bread and cereal and I've increased my intake of fibre as this helps soak up excess bile.

Most people who've had their gallbladder out return to a normal diet without problems. What you read on sites like this about people who have post op problems are the minority. Some may have other digestive issues. The people who don't have problems don't tend to post because they're okay.

Only you can decide if the problems you are having are blighting your life to the extent that it's worth opting for surgery. I started attacks in July 2016 and had surgery in February 2017, by which time I was desperate to have the surgery, because, despite eating low fat, I was deteriorating fast. If you feel you can keep going like you are don't have surgery, but if it's unbearable or you're getting worse, go for surgery.

• Posted

Thanks for your post , you have helped me to realise

that I can't go on like this. I've had gallstones for years but

it's only the last few months that I've been having problems.

I think I need to go for surgery.

• Posted

Hello Linda, you can't live like that you are making yourself poorly. You MUST go to your GP and get it sorted and if they offer op after all test have been done then have it removed so that you can get back to living a normal life . Just remember the MAJORITY of people who have the op are perfectly alright and eat normally after a short while. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed on Aug 2016. Now I eat normal, juz my bowel movement change from everyday to 3 days 1 time bowel movement and pain around belly incision where doctor said maybe is a small hernia or abdominal adhesions. I still thinking to should go for operation or not as my surgeon suggest me do..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.