Not drinking at the weekend..

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello hope everyone is having a good weekend. I have not had any drink tonight (most unsual for a weekend) and in fact went out running instead!! I felt annoyed earlier today because I wanted to drink but knew really I shouldnt because everytime I start it doesnt just last one day normally 3 or 4. Anyway im feeling healthier even from being off it a week. Hope everyone is doing well anyway know the weekends can be espescially tough!

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Star

Well done!

I have decided to give up alcohol for a month on the 'Dryathlon' to raise money for Cancer Research UK (the whole of September - eek!) No booze for 4 days so far.

I wouldn't call myself a heavy drinker although I was getting there about 6 years ago and managed to get a grip (with the help of a friend) and now I drink at weekends only. What I didn't realise was how much that weekend drinking meant to me until last night! I went out for a meal with my boyfriend and I was so irritable and grumpy!! I really craved a glass of wine. I think the only reason I didn't give in was because I was the designated driver!!

I work in the field of Substance Misuse so you would think I would know better wouldn't you? smile

Anyway, keep it up. This site is great for support. Don't beat yourself up for craving - alcohol is a powerful drug. Pat yourself on the back every day you do well and keep running. I can't run due to arthritis but I have started doing yoga and I think that helps. I think the more you look after your body, the less likely you are going to want to mess it up by drinking alcohol.

Good luck smile

• Posted

Hey biker honestly I think you've really done great limiting it to weekends! That's a huge achievement! I would like to limit myself to weekends also and just one night instead of hair of the dog the next day! Yoga is meant to be amazing for de stressing and relaxation as well as being good exercise too!! I'm sure your month off will do you a lot of good smile
  • Posted

HI star.....very well done, I know that it is very, very hard.....but honestly it does get easier over time.....

It is so good to feel healthier isn't it.?...you will feel better and better both physically and emotionally...

I had a very, very bad !!! Problem...it nearly killed me many times...so I am so, sooooo happy to come out the other side....

I wish you so much luck and very best wishes.....big hugs...Deirdre xxx

• Posted

Hi deirdre I'm glad you are doing well smile and you are right it is nice to wake up feeling good instead if being sluggish all day. Thank you for your comment. I think I just need to fill the void from drinking less with other activities! Xx
  • Posted

Well done you!

I am off it for a week myself, after a terrible binge last Thursday and Friday which left me with alcohol poisoning and contributed to me being in hospital thereafter for 3 days (though they didn't properly detox me while there - they concentrated on treating tachycardia and a chest infection I had while there).

I know it's easier said than done, but it's just not worth it.

During my 25 years of social drinking, I sometimes thought about those who didn't drink and thought they were missing-out.  Now, having had an awful year of heavy drinking on-and-off and been worried all week about symptoms very suspicious of cirrhosis, I can well-understand why people choose not to drink.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.