not feeling well

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi.... I'm at stage 3b... Gfr goes from 39 to 30 .... I'm just tired all the time.. feel sick..bad tum.... Just not right...is this normal.... I'm sick of feeling unwell.... work is becoming a struggle.... Help....

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I am about the same stage as you.  I too had the illness feeling total tiredness etc.  However I started to take much more care about diet, drank more fluids,  and lost some weight, and this helped a lot.  In addition I had a full review of my meds and got rid of any that were not in 'kidney friendly' category.  The result is that I now feel pretty good most of the time with only the odd day feeling washed out.  It was not rocket science, but seems to work.  There is plenty advice on diet on the internet, mostly avoiding salt, ready meals and the like, cut down on carbs, plenty fresh fruit and veg.

Give it a serious try and you may be surprised at how well it works  as I was!

KenR

• Posted

Thanks KenR... my meds are all "kidney friendly ... my diet isn't too bad but struggling to eat when feeling sick.. just feel not right n drained... unsure if it's "normal" I'm 49... my weight is ok... wouldn't do no harm to loose a bit... I'll give it a try... thanks..

• Posted

Hi LIsa,

I was quite surprised how easily I lost some weight just by cutting out as much carbs as I could do easily.  I thought I would get hungry a lot but that did not happen.  I also try to get closer to the 16 hours fasting/ 8 hours with food, which needs a bit of adjusting, but that helped a bit too though I do not worry about some variation in times.

It might be worth having a check for anaemia, as that can be affected by kidney function too.

Good luck,

KenR

• Posted

Yes these can be symptoms unfortunately.  No so much tired all the time but once I stop and sit down on an evening I could fall right to sleep
    • Posted

It's hard isn't it... I have to push myself to go to work... some days I just can't... I seen to pick up every bug going too that doesn't help I suppose... just sick of feeling not right... and thought joining this group may help...

• Posted

Yes, I definitely get sick quite easily now too. And I, too, have been very tired of feeling sick--so much so that I wasn't sure I would consider treatment when in renal failure, Stage V. But now that we have an effective treatment plan in place I find that I feel very differently about dialysis. It's really all about quality of life. If I can feel st least this well while on PD dialysis as well as function this well, I will want to carry on with PD dialysis. (My renal function is now very low Stage IV or very high StGe V--creatinine 3.2 and eGFR 15.

Marj

• Posted

Joining this group has helped me a lot. I've heard lots of encouraging reports about PD dialysis. I've also learned a lot from others to help me better understand some of the symptoms I've been experiencing. It's also helpful to interact with others who are living with CKD--it's has helped me to develop a vision for my life as I move forward with CKD.

But the most important thing for me has been to work closely with my nephrologist. And, I can't overstate how much better this has been with my BP in good range and my severe anemia under effective treatment! That has been such a blessing!!

• Posted

Lisa,

I definitely didn't feel well when in Stage IIIB either. And my creatinine (and eGFR) bounced around quite a lot at that point as well. For me there were three issues:

1. Severe anemia (treatable with EPO injections, iron, etc)

2. Unstable blood pressure (often running very low but also experienced frequent sudden drops in blood pressure to alarmingly low levels,e.g., 64/48)

3. Electrolyte imbalances (for me almost always elevated potassium levels which may have contributed to my blood pressure problems. (Treatable with a low potassium diet and a potassium binder)

Once my nephrologist and I got these under effective treatment I felt much better. But that took some time.

I actually have much less renal function now but feel and function much better. So there is hope that you'll feel and function better.

Marj

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

Have you had your  haemoglobin measured.  At about this time, you may start to be anaemic which makes you tired and sometimes breathless.  This is because your kidneys stop making a hormone that stimulates your bone marrow to make red blood cells.  Taking iron and folic acid may help.

• Posted

Lisa, my two cents worth is with a gfr of 30 you shouldn't be having kidney symptoms. Could be a virus you picked up or your diet is appalling. Blood tests will show if you have an iron deficiency. You have a long way to go especially if you eat and exercise properly.

• Posted

hello lisa how are you? im also diagnose with ckd 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.