Not getting better! please lend me some advice!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with celiacs disease. I have been completely gluten free for 3 months and my stomach horrifying stomach issues are still persisting! (Nausea, vomiting, diarreah, and migrains) I'm 95lbs and I just can't gain any wieght. I'm 24 years old and I would like to have alot more meat on my bones. Please help if you have advice!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

No I don't know much but I've had colonoscopies before. They make you nice and sleepy and you shouldn't remember anything. It sounds like you need one though 
    • Posted

Arrgh I think I might just have to go ahead and schedule one...the prep is what I'm dreading! And I'm scared of the results themselves. Just to have a normal life I've had to take pepto bismol and tums almost everyday for the past 4 years
  • Posted

Yeah, the prep isn't nice, quite yuck actually but it's over before you know it.... Really. Yeah you need a proper conclusive diagnosis so they can treat it     properly. These things can make you quite sick if not treated properly though. I know chrons is an auto-immune type illness that as far as I know doesn't have a cure but there are plenty of things they can do to alleviate symptoms. 
    • Posted

Ok. That helps some of my fear about it. Thankyou for the advice!!! smile much appreciated!
    • Posted

No prob. I've been through heaps of procedures etc and I know how scary it is... Especially when you know something isn't right. Do you have family etc to support you?
  • Posted

Karen, you have my (our) empathy. The medical field gives celiacs the impression that you simply stop and all goes back together. WRONG! On the average it takes 18-months for your lifestyle and body to adjust to a workable level. Although you are doing good, it will take being "good over time." Be sure you are not being fooled by labels that say, "GF." Most companies have 20ppm and still call it GF by FDA ruliing. Those of us who have celiac disease cannot tolerate 1ppm without adverse affects. Check your soaps, your perfumes, lipsticks, shampoos, medications, EVERYTHING! Early in my experiences I ended up in the hospital from licking the envelop of a Mother's Day card ... SURPRISE! Hang in there.  Dring at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water daily. I make my own peanut butter. Look at the FODMAP diet for people with IBS. Celiacs can be terribly affected by high fructose. I cannot tolerate garlic, onions, black pepper, coffee, apples (and the list goes on ...). None of these are glutenous but ALL have adverse affects upon my body. On the FODMAP diet you simply have to stop all listed items for 6 to 8 weeks and then slowly bring back one at a time for testing. NO OATMEAL for celiacs. I know, I know, Red Barn is wonderful.  It could also be making you sick through no fault of the company.  It's out bodies.  I hope this helps!  Bundles of hugs coming your way!
    • Posted

Oh goodness this was sooooooo informative.. I had NO idea that the shampoos and lipsticks a stuff that I've been using could be having this effects. I'm going to look up the FODMAP diet and reply in a bit. *huge hugs* thankyou for the help! I feel like I can't eat anything without it affecting me badly and I miss cream cheese danishes and cinnamon rolls and homemade chocolate chip cookies and poptarts and coacoa puffs.ive tried gluten free cookies and poptarts and they all suck. I really don't want to waste the money to buy these expensive food if I won't like them.
  • Posted

Hi Karen Laurie has given you some really good advice, and can't think of much to add except.... and this is something not everyone knows, quinoa is gluten free, BUT it can have the same reaction in the gut as the protein found in wheat. I didn't realise this for some time until I started having problems. It's like gluten free oats, (and they must be classed as gluten free, as mainstream oats are not), when you are first diagnosed with coeliac disease, they tell you not to touch oats until you've had you next endoscopy (usually about a year after you've had your first one, to check how the gut is healing), because some coeliacs have problems with oats. So tread carefully. 
    • Posted

Thankyou so much fiona. I've never tried quinoa. My main thing I eat is rice buy I find myself growing tired of it. I've wanted to try quinoa but in not quite sure what to make with it but I don't want to risk the chance of having a bad reaction to it. Is it more of a breakfast food or can I replace rice with it.
    • Posted

You can use it as a replacement for rice or cous cous. For now, as you still feel you are not getting well, it might be wise to find out the culprit that is making you ill first, otherwise it only confuses the situation if you are also sensitive to quinoa as well.
  • Posted

Hi Karen

Could it be milk? Lots of people myself included couldn't tolerate milk at first until my bowls had healed so to speak. The enzyme for milk digestion is on the ends of the micro villi in your bowl and because of the ceoliac disease their lying down instead of standing upright so milk isn't digested properly and irritates the bowl.......just an idea 

it took about 4 mths of no pure milk but I was ok with milk in products.

• Posted

I am completely lactose intolerant. I can't tolerate milk, yogurt, cheese, or many other dairy products. I wish I could drink whole milk because it would add some fat to my body. I try to eat LOTS of peanut butter for healthy fats in order to gain wieght but it dosnt work. 😭😭😭

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.