Not getting my period

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 17 and I am on the implant but have been for nearly 3 Years now so my body is used to it. On the implant I was used to getting my period very regularly. I have just been diagonosed with an under active thyroid and started taking levothyroxine (50mg) in November 2017. I haven’t had my period since December and it is now February. This is very weird for me because I am on my period frequently and that’s just what I am used to. So I was wondering if the levothyroxine has anything to do with why my period hasn’t come. I have been bleeding after sex a few times but I went to the clinic and I am clear for stds. I have been getting stomach aches and back pain and also hot flushes. I have been reading up and it could be early menopause, I am a big worrier and this is really giving me anxiety. Someone please help me! 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

1st of all do you see a endocrinologist?
  • Posted

Hi Lexi, you’re 17 and you think you have early menopause? NOPE! Holy cow! I’ll give it to you straight.  Sorry to burst your bubble but it’s important to be aware of side effects of medications.

Hormone based contraceptives  are notorious for class action lawsuits due to side effects, and are known to contribute to thyroid disease.  Since you’ve been diagnosed with thyroid disease, find another form of birth control, as it isn’t worth risking your health for life.

First, read through the side effects of your contraception implant.  Also do a search specifically for your implant (brand name) and hypothyroid disease. Hormonal based contraceptives can wreak havoc with your endocrine system. If your thyroid is wonky, It’s likely the contraceptive has contributed, as birth control pills are known to contribute to thyroid disease.

Switch to a non hormonal contraceptive- thyroid disease is horrible and your goal needs to shift to caring for this while in the early stages do you have a chance for remission. 

Low thyroid can result in low progesterone, which can cause frequent periods.  And yes, hypothyroid disease can cause early menopause if untreated.

What is your body temp without the meds? I ask because if your body temp is 2 degrees ferinheight or more below normal, you know you have hypothyroidism.

Hot flashes after starting levothyroxin? Get off of it! Try an NDT prescription or ThyroGold (non-prescription).

Get yourself some essential amino acids, clean up your diet and take good care of yourself, as it’s possible to get thyroid disease into remission.

Read the many posts here in the levothyroxin group about all the crazy side effects. 

You’re young and it’s likely your difficulties are entirely due to side effects of prescription medications. It might be worth trying going off everything for six months to see if you improve.

Good luck- keep us posted on your progress!

• Posted

Hi! Thanks for the info and help! Yeah I know for sure I defiantly have hypothyroidism and yes I will be booking an appointment to get the implant taken out and talk with my doctor about other options of contraception due to my under active thyroid.  I don’t know what my body temp is without the meds. 

I’m just very worried as before I started taking my medication (levothyroxine 50mg) my periods were very regular and now I haven’t got any since early December! I’m just very scared and worry a lot.  

• Posted

Hi

My periods were normal before starting levo. Once I started it, my menstrual cycle went all over the place.after I found my ideal dosage, they settled down again. 

Have you had your thyroid levels retested since starting levo?

• Posted

Hi

Yes I went to my doctor about it and they did a blood test just to make sure my dosage weren’t too high and they said it was the right dosage for me. I’m just scared as this is not normal for me and I just want to get my period 

• Posted

Lexi, this would freak anyone out. Unfortunately, the wonky cycles go with the (hypothyroid) territory. 

The Levo interferes with your pituitary function, so along with inhibiting TSH production, other things get messed up.

So head you're  looking at options besides the patch. As you investigate options, be sure to read up on all prescriptions, do searches for class action lawsuits, avoid “new” drugs, as they tend to not have a complete listing of side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.