Not H Pylori, now what?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm disappointed my recent h pylori breath test was negative as i felt certain that was probably the answer to all my troubles. now it looks like i may have to have the dreaded endoscopy to know what the hell is going on in there. that has to be my worst nightmare... stomach problems and an endoscopy god help me!!

anyone have a false negative breath test? anyone have bile reflux and if so how and when do your symptoms present? i am not overweight and if it is not h pylori i am just at a loss!....

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Look after your health and eat your fibre and stay away from strong drinks and you will be fine.

• Posted

well i have an extremely healthy lifestyle and im not fine so that's not it! if only it was that simple...

• Posted

are you taking any acid reduction medication like omeprazole? if you are than you should stop it for 2 weeks before the test otherwise there is a risk of false negative. This happened to me

• Posted

the clinic where i got the test said PPI must be stopped 3 days before the test only not two weeks, so i did that. really really hope it is not a false negative!! blood test also was negative.

• Posted

are you taking any acid reduction medication like omeprazole? if you are than you should stop it for 2 weeks before the test otherwise there is a risk of false negative. This happened to me

• Posted

false negative happened to me also. i was taking ppi and the stool test was negative. 1 month later it was postive.

• Posted

thank you for sharing. did you get treated for it and are you better now? what were your symptoms? i heard the bacteria can cause bad breath too and is a common symptom but my husband says i never have that. this is so crazy trying to find out what is wrong with my stomach!! i feel like if it was just acid the PPi wouldve taken care of the gastritis by now...

• Posted

i started 11 months ago, pain below my right ribs and awful indigestion / heartburn. i also experience bad right hip pain, its like a burning and shooting pain.

i was treated for HP and them had a endoscopy and they said it had gone. however im still suffering. i have had a ultrasound, endoscopy, mri, ultrasound on pelvis and 3 rounds of blood work. only thing they found was HP.

• Posted

hmm thats weird. i have heard that some people still suffer after h pylori treatment. did you do an endoscopy later to see if not just h pylori but the inflammation was going down? did the doctor say whether your stomach showed signs of healing after eradication or not? if i were you i would ask to be tested multiple ways ( i know u already did the repeat biopsy) like blood stool and breath just in case the biopsy missed it and it wasnt eradicated afterall. i dont believe any of the tests are 100 percent reliable. what a nasty bacteria!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.