Not had a drink for 6 weeks - strange symptoms.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys - I hope you are all OK.  Just wondering on your thoughts.  I have not had a drink now for 6 weeks as my Diabetic consultant was alarmed at my LFT results and so I had an ultrasound on my liver last Friday so i am waiting for the results.  I was a very heavy drinker for about 25 years but managed to hold down a job so I guess I was a functioning alcoholic but I would drink as soon as I woke up if I wasn't working and then carry on drinking throughout the day.  I could never remember going to bed.  To cut a long story short - over the last two weeks I have had a feeling of nausea, severe stomach cramps and very bad diarrhoea and I am also experiencing a 'popping' sensation in my stomach area. It's not painful but I am aware of it.  I am also having very bad headaches in the evening.  Any ideas - have any of you had any of these symptoms?

Look forward to your comments xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey Humpty, First of all congratulations on six Weeks!! smile That's a great benchmark and you should be proud. If the popping is just at the base of the rib cage, then it's more than likely to be inflammation of the Liver with possible water retention. This will improve in Time. All aches and pains do is seem to appear one by one when you don't have the protection of numbness. I am guessing that you may have got a bit of a sweet tooth since being dry? Still getting cramps six weeks after the fact must be frustrating though, how has your diet been recently? Nausea and diarrhoea are going to make you dehydrated which contributes to your headaches, so stay well watered wink I hope you start to feel better soon, AL   

• Posted

Hi Al - thanks for your reply!!  I'm ashamed to say that I thought that my liver was much lower down nearer my stomach area as this is where the 'popping' sensation is. I hadn't thought that dehydration could contribute to the headaches so will make sure that I drink more fluid.  And you are right - the aches and pains are probably due to not feeling numb.  i don't tend to go for sweet things due to Diabetes but I am eating less so as not to experience the stomach cramping etc.

Thank you and hope you are doing well. 

Xxx

• Posted

I congratulate you for fighting disease. I think these are withdrawal symptoms. Your body will get used to the new situation for a long time. You do not supply alcohol to blood, so you should start a healthy diet and an active lifestyle. After such a long period of drinking, you will definitely still have some time to feel the effects. I think it's normal but you can always ask an experienced doctor what he thinks

• Posted

Hi Flower,

My reply didn't get sent.  Thank you for your comment.  I think you are right that it's probably my body reacting to no alcohol.  Dr's appt on Tuesday so i will run it by him.

All the best

Xxx

• Posted

Wow - Congratulations on 6 weeks!  That is awesome.  Please share what you learn about these symptoms.  I wish you all the best!

• Posted

Thank you BTGB!!  I do feel quite pleased with myself but it's short lived as I am now worrying about what it could be.  There's always something to worry about isn't there??  I'll let you know what Dr says and of Ultrasound results.

Hope you are doing OK.

All the best

Xx

• Posted

Great with 6weeks not drinking. Fantastic achievement. You should be proud of yourself. I had some symptoms but earlier than you. First 2 weeks were odd when i stopped and i slept poorly. Your body takes a long time to heal. I celebrated 5 years sober 31s t Dec 2017. Soon 3 months for you and then one year 😀

• Posted

Thank you Robin!!  I am coming to realise that it will take a lot longer for my body to get used to it not having alcohol than I thought.  Well done to you for not drinking for that long.  That's amazing.  Taking each day at a time and not looking too far ahead at the moment but I feel so much more alert and have much more energy and motivation.  Just got to wait for ultrasound results and take it from there.

All the best.

Xxx

• Posted

I always think of one new drink as poison! If i take one drink i will die. Dramatic but it works for me. I now have too much to loose and dare not consider drinking again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.