Not happy 😬

Posted , 8 users are following.

so after speaking to a mental health doctor today she said that because citalopram stopped working for me I should have never been put back on it in the first place.

she mentioned that she believes that the meds don't poop out but some people brain chemistry can change every 5 years or so and this effects everyone differently. so some people need a change in med when others don't but did say it was a poor choice from my gp to put me back on something I have tried to get better on twice. and that increasing dose wouldn't work.

that's fine but I'm just so annoyed that I've just wasted 7 months trying to get better when I've just been getting worse.

since I restarted citalopram I have had

detatched

brain fog

bad stomach

palpitations

shaking

resting heart rate around 140 all day and night

dizzyness

aches and pains

panic on and off

stupidly high sex drive that leads to irribility

reoccurring depression

she says this could easily be the meds or the fact that I haven't improved so have could be my anxiety but either way agreed I shouldn't feel that bad.

so now it looks like I'm gonna have to change meds Yet again! and I'm so fed up and angry that I've just wasted 6 months on a lost cause and have been getting worse and trying to convince myself I would get better.

so the next plan is lexapro as it's similar to citalopram so shes hoping that it will work well because I done so well on citalopram in the past.

my worry is that because it's so similar to citalopram that it wont work, hell, I'm worried nothing will work. I'm coming up to 2 years now of trying to get better and have lost all hope.

I have a baby coming in 20 weeks and am getting more and more desperate to get better.

sorry for the rant I'm just annoyed I'm back to square one yet again but worse than I've ever felt.

anyone gone through anything similar? or anyone tried a few different meds before they found the right one for them.

all hope is gone now x ❤❤

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i had all those side effects on 20milli.once i reduce to ten all those symptoms Disappear.take care hope you find peace.

• Posted

Hope you soon find something that works, i found sertraline awful made my anxiety lot worse. Seems what works for one person doesn't for another I thought lexapro was just stronger version of citalopram. Maybe post on the lexapro forum I think it is quite strong med least you seem found someone who actually knows what they are talking about take care.

• Posted

Hope you soon find something that works, i found sertraline awful made my anxiety lot worse. Seems what works for one person doesn't for another I thought lexapro was just stronger version of citalopram. Maybe post on the lexapro forum I think it is quite strong med least you seem found someone who actually knows what they are talking about take care.

• Posted

What ever you do never give up hope, even the most drug resistance patients find a drug or combination that works well for them.

I understand your frustration at spending so much time trying to get better, I to spent 6 months hoping citalopram would work again but trust me once you have found the one that does work your frustration will disappear and a grateful calm will replace it.

escitalopram is a cleaner medication then basic citalopram and for what is worth much more expensive monetary wise.

hopefully this will work for you although in reality you cannot spend any more time or effort in getting worse so as scary and annoying as it seems, to have to change drugs again, you do not have much to loose but maybe just maybe a lot to gain

• Posted

My doctor wants to change my meds too. I am looking forward to it. Just want something that works. She will make my switch slowly so i shouldn't have too much trouble but got to be better than this. Know more Monday.

Hang in there.

• Posted

hope it works for you p, and i know how easy it is to get frustrated about time spent trying to get well (3 years here) but while we are still trying their is still hope x

• Posted

hey xx

have u tried to see what your like off medication ? i have been on citalopram a few times but the last time was different i so unwell the anxiety was insane the peristant looping thoughts the severe depression i wanted to die ! i took myself off quickly and went through withdrawal and i am back to myself now feel so much better tho because i have gad and depression it still shows up but nothing like how i was on the citalopram xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.