not having any support from home

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey whoever is out there just need some advice?

I was adopted when I was 1 year old and been with my adopted family for 17 years and don't get on with them at all since being in contact with my birth dad but basically I've been diagnosed with depression and i drink a hell of a lot and I've tried telling them but they just don't listen to me. other people have tried talking to them but they just want to know the good stuff and not the bad so they ignore the fact that I'm depressed and need support. i just don't know what to do about it i just want to keep drinking and forget about everything going on.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So sorry what you are going through atm you are at an age where everything seems like its not going anywhere and alcohol is not the answer, take it from someone who was brought up with a depressed mum that always chose drink to numb her feelings but all she got from that quite a few times was rushed to hospital, you need to speek to your doctor and tell him/her how your feeling and what your doing to try and feel better trust me they are there to help, just please try and stop the drinking because you are young and dont want to destroy your life at such an early age, if you ever need to talk you can pm me, i am going through some things myself atm and having someone to talk to helps alot. All the best.
  • Posted

Hi Lauren - I echo Naomi - alcohol is a depressant, solves nothing and can lead to all sorts of traumas and tragedies. It is important for you to see the doc and describe what is going on. The thing with families is that past behaviour is indicative of future behaviour, and if they haven't given you that support you need it is useless expecting them to change tomorrow. You need to take control of this yourself, and quitting the booze is the first crucial step. I realise you want to escape, but when you wake up tomorrow nothing will have changed. The first steps are the most difficult. You could try AA for support.

• Posted

Sweet Lauren, it’s a very hard time for all of u, im sure. i met my biological dad when i turned 30. its a mess in somebody’s head! expectations, disappointment, jealousy, confusion ect........ u can not make people understand , they have to do it by themselves. u will , u do understand depression because u r feeling it. that is why i have myself searched for a group like this one , for i do not have many people in my life who understand, or if they do , they can cope with it. maybe ur parents dont want to know about ur depression, because maybe they feel guilty ,maybe about the adoption, u dont know. Just try to keep a loving relationship with all people concerned, be the sun, the love. And for now that is i also can give u, a big fat hug! Be strong, be forgiving, it makes u stronger! 

Lola xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.