Not looking for a diagnosis, just input!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Here's a list of my symptoms: Shortness of breath. Heart palpitations. Fatigue (tired after climbing a few flights of stairs...I have to take the elevator more often than I ever have before). Arm pain. Weight loss. Loss of appetite (although, I do force myself to eat at least 3 meals a day). Tiredness. Mood swings. Sadness (accompanies the mood swings I suppose. I simply don't feel like myself anymore). Dizziness. Joint pain. Arm pain (feel sore - all the time). Oh, and I'm 23 and recently went to the docs who told me I had a "clean bill of health" although I do no feel healthy at all. Could any of this be pernicious anemia? I don't believe my blood tests picked up on b12 deficiency. Gonna call my doc back soon to ask. I just want to know what's wrong with me in order to fix it. Doc said it was most likely anxiety related, but I can't ignore the obvious physical symptoms I've been feeling also. I know my body, and something is up. Help please? 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms do sound as though they could be related to B12 deficiency. Is your arm soreness a sort of burning pain so it hurts to touch the skin? Did your doctor check you for VitD levels plus ferritin and folate and thyroid function? Can you get a copy of your blood test results? 

Are there any reasons for you to suspect that you have B12 deficiency? For example, is there a family history of this problem? Are you vegetarian or vegan? Are there issues with your digestive system, coeliac or Crohn's disease? 

I do hope you can find out what's going on and begin to feel better. Doctors always seem happy to prescribe ante depressants, without checking other things first.

• Posted

I'm waiting for the holiday weekend to pass in order to ask my doc for my results! They simply said they'd call me if they found anything wrong with my blood tests but they never did! So now I want to look at it myself and see what I was actually tested for as I have every right to. As for my arm pain, yes, it is a burning type of sensation. It's kind of sore to the touch sometimes and I find myself unconsciously massaging it because it just feels sore for no reason at all. Also, i do not have any family history with any disease or illness (that I know of) due to b12 definicieny. I have had some form of anemia in the past. And my father has as well, if that narrows b12 history down. Not sure what type of anemia, but my doc told me I luckily didn't  have anemia this time around. I thank you so much for your advice and response. I also hope I find the root of my problems. And yes, my doctor quickly prescribed me some ibuprofen for the palpitations and arm pain, but other than that. Nada. Beginning to think that's just their go-to drug for non-emergent cases. Sigh. 

• Posted

When you say you eat three meals a day it's important that you include some animal products each day such as red meat, fish, seafood, eggs, poultry and dairy produce in order to avoid becoming Vitamin B12 as they are the only natural sources we can obtain it from food.

As Marion suggests ask you doctor to test for B12, Folate, Iron, Vitamin D and thyroid and post the results on here.

I am not a medically trained person but have had P.A. for more than 45 years.

• Posted

I will definitely try and get my hands on my blood test results as soon as I can! I too want to see if they checked for all of that. Also, I eat so much chicken! And meat! I'm starting to eat more eggs again as well as I've noticed I haven't in a long while. I'm also thinking of b12 vitamins to take too to see if that helps me a little 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.