Not losing any weight..

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've been on 400 mg of topiramate 200 in the morning 200 in the evening and haven't lost much weight.. I really thought I'd lose something.. maybe another medicine is keeping the weight on.. I really can't say but I thought this medicine was supposed to counter that.. maybe it doesn't work for me in the weight loss department.. I'm not really overeating.. so I'm not sure.. I've been on this medicine for 5 or 6 months now..

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If you do some deep research on the American sites it will show you that they did trial the drug as an endocrine drug in South America as a weight loss drug but they had to stop the trial as although it was a succeful as a weight loss drug the side effects were a real issue.

I only took eleven tablets over nine days and my weight loss was drastic in that I went down from a size 16/18 to a  14  and am now a 12,

They reckoned in the beginning that the drug went through me so fast that I lost as much weight as most people do as over an average of six months.

But I now dislike food, no appetite and struggle to maintain my weight..........but it is not prescribed as a weight loss drug it is normally for another condition.

• Posted

I take it for bipolar and seizures but I thought I'd atleast lose a few pounds like everybody else who takes it that's one reason my psychiatrist put me on it. But I have gained weight instead

• Posted

Not everyone will lose weight on it. I took it as part of a pain management protacol and hate all the side affects I have............word blindness being the worst, aphasic as well, etc
    • Posted

The only side effect I have is taste problems.. like food and drinks taste different.. soda taste flat.. or used to..
    • Posted

Dig really deep into the data on the American sites. The FDA statistics on this drug tell me that at my age I will never recover from some of the side effects I have.............I know the Drug Company here withheld information from me via the first consultant
  • Posted

Sounds like you react as my friend did...same dose as me, 200mg. I lost 28lbs in 16 weeks, she gained 14lbs in same time. It really depends on whether you are in the 16% who do lose weight or the 84% majority who remain the same weight or gain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.