Not much help or support for Diverticular Disease

Posted , 17 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Diverticular Disease in Dec 2013 after 4 days in hospital and the Drs having no clue what was wrong. After having a CT scan they found the problem. I was 30yrs old and if Im honest I was shocked. I felt this was an 'elderly' thing. 

Since my diagnosis I have had 4 bouts of diverticulitis that I have dealt with myself. I take paracetamol and go on a liquid only diet for 4 days and until the symptoms go away. I had a sigmoid colonoscopy in April to see how much of my colon has these diverticula and the Dr said it was of medium severity at this point. 

The only way I can describe the pain of a flare up is like having contractions, Ive had 3 children and would take childbirth over this any day. 

The point Im trying to make is that I have found there is little or no support for people with this digestive disease. I read conflicting reports on what I should be eating to help live with this and its starting to take over my life. I run a business and have 3 children so I need to be able to manage this.

Natalie x

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello Natalie. Hope you have not had any more attacks lately.  Ive just come out of hospital with no further help at all. I agree with all your comments!!!!!

Have you found a diet sheet that can help us? What do you find helps?

Best wishes to you. Vera.

• Posted

I agree ,my doctor has no time to give me anymore , he says I should stop visiting doctors. Where do you go from there when you are spoken to in this way. I made no reply to him I was dumbfounded by his remark. 
  • Posted

Hi there. I've had surgery and had a piece of my colon removed. You need to ensure you get enough fibre daily. Min 25g. You also need to have a min 2lts of water p/day.

0828467792 if you would like to chat further.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.