Not myself on bisoprolol

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on 2.5 Mg for approx. 2 years. Side effects continue to plague me. Everything from headaches,lethargy,fatigue,cold hands and feet, depression,dizziness etc... Every time I go to Doc about what is causing all this he shrugs me off and says it isn't the drug. Wondering if anyone else has experienced so many side effects and what can I do about Doc's stubborn and dismissive attitude. I feel worse than I have ever felt. Any info would be appreciated.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have also been sun sensitive , swallowing problems, voice problems and skin sensitivity. Nothing has changed in my life except taking this drug. Curious to know if anyone else has experienced so many side effects. Thank you.

• Posted

As soon as I was put on Bisoprolol, I described feeling like a drunk zombie and I could no longer feel my lungs working automatically, I had to remember to breathe. I cut my tablets in half which was just enough to stave off the VT, but even so, after five weeks I was found semi-consious with no discernible pulse. So they took me off.

Its now nearly two years later, after one year my breathing recovered but my other symptoms remain, I still feel like a drunk zombie, especially if I overdo things such as spend more than six or seven hours out of bed, I am unstable walking, have peripheral neuraphty now, feel so exhausted after eating that I live it until the end of the day before I eat a thing.

I have had one hell of a battle against the NHS and their fob-offs that its the usual scapegoat, "Anxiety", what has helped with my main cardiologist was when he got another patient who has also suffered the same permanent damage from Bisoprolol. Trouble is, my own GP has said she doesn't know what to do next, so I am slowly deteriorating and wondering how much further my journey from being fully fit and employed, to having to be put into care will be.

I recently did an ancestry/health DNA test, turns out I have multiple genes that makes me a "slow metaboliser" of certain medicines, specifically Nat2 which relates to engines that clear drugs from your body, thats why you have to take them every day, but when you are a slow metaboliser, the previous days drug is still in your body and so you gradually become overdosed. This wont be your case as you have been on them for two years, but it does demonstrate how very little knowledge the people who make us take these powerful medicines have.

You might want to research the Autonomic Nervous System and Dysautonomia as these drugs disrupt the ANS by blocking adrenaline receptors. It is a very finely balanced system between fight/flight and rest/digest that controls all of your automatic functions. Sometimes the ANS can be shifted out of balance and never regain its equilibrium, which is probably what has happened to me.

Posting a link here delays posts so do a search on "QHRV assessment ANS balance assessment" click on the website of QHRV, (a company that makes medical equipment for the study of Dysautonomia), Select "The Science" and then "Autonomic Nervous System ANS" from the drop down menu which then opens another dropdown menu from which you should select "Autonomic Nervous System". Read all through that, at the bottom you will read that one of the things that cause Dysautonomia is beta blockers.

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your health and problems you are facing. Thank you very much for the info and pray that you find solutions to your problems.

• Posted

Hi you poor thing x

Im not medically trained so cant tell you what to do but I'm on bisoprolol and get cold hands and feet, have anxiety which i never had before and generally don't feel myself.

Saw the GP the other day about a virus which wont go away and mentioned im on quarter tab of biso and coming off soon, and he said "well you're on lowest dose there shouldn't be a problem" ! Ha!......

Came off them last summer cold turkey and heart rate went up(126) hence why im weaning slowly.

They are truly horrible tablets. Hopefully talking about it will help, i know this forum has been great because some people dont understand these tabs are vile x

• Posted

hi there yes im the same too i been on them for about 4 years now was on 5 mg twice a day but reduced it 2,5 mg as my face kept feeling numb .but this hasnt changed anything still the numb face at time not sleeping depression all the other symptons you have got too

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I have numbness in head, arms legs also. Seems as though I better get to a cardiologist if my GP isn't receptive to my Opinion that this drug is at the root of all my symptoms. Thank you for your post !

• Posted

Hi Heady1,

All these are side effects of this horrible drug, my hubby had them all plus more, today he is having an ablation for an ectopic heartbeat which I believe is a direct result of this drug, it only appeared when the side effects kicked in. He will never touch a beta blocker again.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your husbands difficulties.What did he end up taking instead of Bisoprolol . Hoping he is feeling better. Thank you for your post.

• Posted

Nothing. He stopped this nasty drug, then they said he had this ectopic beat so they rushed him an appointment to have a defibrillator implanted, then they put him on amiodarone, now the ablation. The doctors will not admit anything but, since the side effects from the bisoprolol it has been one thing after another.

• Posted

l was on 8 weeks saw DR twice about side affects he said got to let them get in your system nightmare saw another DR to get off them 3 week off still awful bisoprolol is an evil horrible drug if it had not been for this blog l dont think l would be living

• Posted

Thank you.... sorry to hear you are experiencing such difficulty as well. I am going back to DR. asap and get to the bottom of this. No reason i should go from vital, active person to going through this .

• Posted

HI Heady 1 Three week off still got bad heads and pains all over like you i am very active walk up to ten miles a day got keep going and hope all side affects go away

• Posted

I HATE THIS DRUG !!!!!

I was a mess on it. Many of the symptoms that you have.

I was then told to just stop it 5 days prior to an attempted ablation. I was told it was fine to just stop. It was not fine. I went through such awful withdrawals and anxiety. I did not realize that it was withdrawals, and thought it was anxiety, and was put on trazodone and klonopin. Worst decision of my life. I then had the grueling task of having to withdrawal from them.

Never ever again will I take it. I would rather have tachycardia than be on this drug

If I knew then what I know now.......

• Posted

Cannot believe we are all suffering because of this drug.

Ive lost 14 months of my life to it, goodness knows how you all cope being on it for years.

Im having therapy tomorrow to help with my anxiety brought on by this.

Cbt i think. Wonder how ill get on.

Managed an aldi shop today, ok no big deal for most but ....anxious i was. Got to the car shaking......

Mornings are not good, feel awful. The school run is a challenge every day. Felt so weak this morning, using sweets as well as food cos my blood sugar goes low even though im not diabetic. Had to sit to get energy back.

Can only describe as a living hell

Take care folks.

Nice to chat xx

• Posted

I have been on 2.5mg Bisoprolol for 5 years now and the side effects you mention I also have even now, it's a bit renowned for it unfortunately, though some folk are lucky not to experience any side effects at all, my husband was on 5mgs for 3-4 years and they never caused him any problems at all.

Phoebe

• Posted

Have you ever been offered an alternative prescription? I am going to ask Doctor about it asap. Thank you

• Posted

I have a docs appointment this morning so I may mention it to him, I have just had 40 odd hours of Afib over the weekend so need to chat, Bisoprolol has kept it at bay all these years, this is the first episode I have had in all that time but perhaps my body has now become immune to it and it is now time for a change, knowing my luck he will just up the dose. :0)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.