Not really anxiety related...but could be

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know the title is a bit confusing, but anyways.....

I'm in Spain, on holidays, and I'm flying home tomorrow. It's only a 2 hour flight so it's short enough. The problem is, last night I had this weird pressure feeling in my ears, kinda like they were blocked, but it went after about 5 minutes. Then this morning I had the same thing. My throat is also sore which makes me think I've a sinus problem or something. I went to a pharmacy today, where they didn't understand English and my Spanish isn't great, she gave me foam earplugs when I mentioned flying, so she might of got the message. Will these help? There's literally no where open now because the holiday season is over. And everything is closed now anyways. Should I be ok to fly? I'm not really worried about it..but I don't want to damage my ear or anything. 

Oh and the closest airport is tiny, and there's only like one flight a week so I need to fly home tomorrow. 

Any help is much appreciated,

Jack

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Jack smile

Don't worry about your ear. My eldest son has ongoing sinus problems and he was on a long haul flight this past August without any problems, apart from minor discomfort, which was to be expected due to his sinus issues

Yes, your ears may well pop and crackle due to the pressure in the air cabin. Ad yes, the popping can be momentarily painful, and I emphasise can be here. That doesn't mean to say there will be painful popping, far  from

You are unlikely to suffer any damage to your ear

Try not to focus upon any ear sensations as this will likely make it worse for you, in the sense that if you are "looking " at what you see as a problem then you will "feel " it

You'll be home before you know it. Wear your ear plugs as they may well give you some comfort

You'll be just fine, Jack smile

Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen, I know it's unlikely to suffer hearing damage, just wanted to be 100% certain. My guess would be the humid weather has something to do with my problem, but I dunno. Anyways, I'm gonna wear the ear plugs for most of the flight, especially taking off and landing.

Thanks agaiin, Jack

• Posted

Hi there,

possibly the weather or maybe the water from swimming?

It's all guesswork.

The important thing is you will be okay, Jack

Please don't worry!

Have a good flight home

Helen

• Posted

Hopefully all will be ok

Wear the ear plugs when taking of and landing they will neutralise the air pressure in your ears.

In the past I have been in some very small aircraft and ears crackle and pop.

When you feel your ears crackle or the hearing goes strange swallow and your ears will clear. If you feel the need of another set of ear plugs ask the Airhostess.

Many of the new aircraft seem not to be bad with cabin pressurisation. So enjoy your flight. One other thing you could do with your ears is drink something that seems to help as well

• Posted

Well...I thought I had the plugs...but stupid me left them in the hotel......my ears were fine for take off, but landing they were terrible. I landed about 4 hours ago and my left ear is sore and feels clogged. My right ear was like this, but cleared up. I hope my left one clears up. I think I might go to my doctor tomorrow, even if it does clear up, just in case I did do something. Oh and my throat has been really sore for the whole day. I dunno if they are connected, but I'll find out tomorrow. I just hope I haven't got permanent damage to my ear

• Posted

Hi there Jacksmile

Don't worry

Sore throats often affects the ear and vice versa. There's no reason to ear permanent damage

Go see the GP. It will pit your mind at rest and if you have, and I emphasise if here, an ear infection, you will be prescribed something to heal it

Please don't panic. If your throat is very sore a spoonful of honey works wonders. If you don't have any honey warm drinks soothe the throat

More importantly don't panic. We get little things like ear/throat infections, tummy bugs and what have you. They are rarely, rarely serious and when they are, there are other significant issues/symptoms

You'll be okay!

Helen xx

• Posted

Lol. No reason to fear permanent damage not " ear" permanent damage. Sorry, typo error

• Posted

Hi Helen, I have a feeling like it's an infection, I had one before and it feels the same. I took some honey earlier, and it did help. I don't think it is anything serious, I was talking to my cousin, who is an air hostess and she was saying she had something similar and the doctor gave her an antibiotic and it cleared up a week later.

Thanks for the reply,

Jack

• Posted

See your gp, jack. Sounds like you need a prescription and anyway, better safe than sorry and it will put your mind at rest

helen

• Posted

I was still going, no matter what my cousin says, I know I'll need a prescription and as you said....better safe than sorry

• Posted

Just back from doctors, she said it's all just a cold. She said my throat is clear, no puss and isn't red. She said that my ears are fine, that they should sort themselves out in the next few days. So I'm not on anything, except Strepsils and paracetamol for my throat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.