Not related to meno... but we all cook!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone has some recipes in their 'back pocket' to share. I have no idea what is going on with me but I'm having trouble functioning.. No surprise I guess. But I'm starting to really hate being in my kitchen-- making a meal for the family and then cleaning it up.. I know I will look at this later on and think 'what the hell' I'm a woman and women love to cook.. I'm looking for easy crock-pot or a casserole just to get it done and clap that they are fed. I'll share one that this lady from work gave me--- can cranberry sauce with BBQ sauce and chicken in the crock pot with onions.. She said it doesn't sound good but it does taste good.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kelly

Been a while since I used my crock pot but mustard chicken is good : chicken thighs, chicken stock, leeks (can you get those where you are? If not onion), spoon of dijon mustard. Stock pot 6 hrs, serve with mashed potato. I usually fit my prep/cooking during the working day, but I work from home.

I know what you mean though, I get a bit fed up of cooking but I don't clean / do dishes. My hubby and do that.... They can't have it all ways!

Best diet I've been on though, is to avoid all saturated fats, or keep them as low as possible. I've lost 3 stone and kept it off and feel better in meno than I did xx

• Posted

That does sound good I will try.. With the cold weather coming that sounds like some comfort food! And yes, once I made potato leek soup so I will use leeks.

• Posted

My kids all have chores for after dinner. You did enough by feeding them, they should help too! Lol! I use my crockpot all the time. I make lasagna, soups, pasta, chicken, french toast casserole and just about everything in it! It is a sanity saver for me, especially since I am exhausted most of the time! 😃

• Posted

I didn't 'train' my kids or hubby really good in the kitchen. Son can make pancakes, cookies, fried rice so it's a good start. I have heard that lasagna is awesome in the crock-pot but have yet to try.. I know hubby loves lasagna too.

• Posted

Mini pot pies , use cupcake pans can of flaky biscuit dough half the biscuit in bottom of each, a couple spoonfuls of can of cream chicken soup a couple spoonfuls of mix vegetables a couple spoonfuls of chunks of chicken off a rotisserie chicken then other half of biscuit dough on top bake 20 min, and chili in crockpot was my favorite, brown ground beef or turkey then cans of tomato sauce cans of different beans that you prefer me dark and light kidney and pinto beans and cut up onions and green peppers, then slow cook all day..one

• Posted

okkk I forgot about pot-pies!!! Well, not really I cheat on that.. Costco (in US) has this brand that I buy that are really good in a pinch. But making them in muffin tins sounds fun--- Prehaps even for lunch on the weekend. Thanks! The kids like chicken chili and I need to do that really soon here!!

• Posted

Hi Kelly, can't believe you said " But I'm starting to really hate being in my kitchen-- making a meal for the family and then cleaning it up" I have exactly been like that lately and was wondering what is going on with me!!!. It feels like such a burden now.. Aaaargggggh.. All the best & LOVE

• Posted

I also used to love to cook but cannot stand doing it now. Just like to clarify not ALL women like cooking, and plenty of men like to cook, too!

My go-to is a couple of cups of low sodium chicken stock with a couple of onions chopped in half and a couple of garlic cloves. Don't even peel the onions or garlic. No need! Lay a whole chicken (breast side down) on top of the onions and stock. Season it and let it sit in the crock until done. This provides succulent meat to add to any vegetable dish, and the leftover stock makes an excellent soup base with leftover chicken.

My go-to vegetable dish is a ton of summer veg chopped and roasted. So, peppers, eggplant, onion, garlic, zucchini, and anything else left over in the fridge covered in herbs and olive oil and bung it in the oven. Or the winter version would be squash, potatoes, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, leeks, carrots, garlic, onion, seasoning, olive oil and bung in the oven to roast.

Another crock pot favourite is browning a large amount of stew meat of your choice on the bbq grill (I find this easier than having to do it on the stove and less cleaning up after), chop it all up and add to the crock along with onions, garlic, seasoning, and a bottle of beer or stout or beef broth if you don't have gluten. This makes a very rich stew overnight and is wonderful served over a bake potato with salad.

I've found the earlier I cook food before dinner time, the easier it is for me. I will make the stew overnight, the chicken in the morning, and chop and prep the vegetables at the same time so it's just thrown in the oven. Not perfect to have to reheat, but that's tough. It's what's for dinner. 😉

If you look up dump bag recipes that may make things easier for you. A lot of prep at the start but then nothing to do each day after!

• Posted

Omgoodness so many ideas!! Thank-you!! The chicken sounds really good over the onions and garlic. I need to eat more protein with salads. So I will try that--- kids will eat that like a chicken taco when they are needing a late-nite snack. I do a roast beef in the crock and shredd for bbq beef sandwiches for them and save a piece of the beef for me (no sugar).. It is really good!! Those veggies sound good and I have done the roasted broccoli and b sprouts with spices and bacon or just sliced zuchini roasted. I guess what I'm missing is a spouse who enjoys cooking as well.

• Posted

Hi, these are some clap they are fed nights when I can barely function. A seasoned store bought pork tenderloin. Just bake in oven and slice when done. Make with corn, potatoes , baked beans. Campbell's makes slow cooker sauces and they also, make oven sauces. The sweet teriyaki chicken oven sauce is good with chicken breasts. Just pour over chicken and bake in oven. The buffalo chicken slow cooker sauce. I use that often in my crock pot. I put chicken tenderloins in the crock pot. Can also, use chicken breasts. Pour the sauce over and cook on high for 2 hours or so for the tenderloins. The chicken breasts may take longer. You could then place the tenderloins or chicken breasts over rice, potatoes or even make buffalo chicken sandwiches. Cincinnati Spaghetti is good. Make the chili in the crock pot. Put over spaghetti and sprinkle with cheese. Sloppy Joe's quick in the crock pot too. A frozen pizza is REALLY QUICK ha ha. Delish.com is a really good website to look for recipes. Their video recipe section is really good. This has been my go to recently. Hope you feel better! Hugs

• Posted

Thank-you!!! Years ago I did buy those super thick pork tenderloins and cook them in the crock pot with cream of chicken soup-- kids ate that up with green beans, salad and potato or rice. I need to buy some-- costco had really good ones!! I will look at Cincinnati Spagetti. Yep, my husband does frozen pizza-- kids can't stand it. Sloppy Joes and tacos are my go to's but they are getting tired of that-- I alternate one every week--ha --- So I need to step up my game in the kitchen. I have boys who are busy in sports so I do need to get those calories in for them--- they burn off so much. Starting to put butter in everything so they can get some meat on them.

• Posted

Thank-you for giving me some motivation. The other day I just felt stuck like 'when is this going to end'.. I did marinate some chicken legs that I needed to do something with-- I will bake those tomorrow. And today, I needed to make something just for me (protein and veggies) which was soup and it was delish!! Oh and today at the soccer game this lady gave me a couple other crock-pot meals that I can try. : ) They are quite heavy meals that I couldn't eat but perfect for the family!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.