Not sexually active but nurse tells me I need a smear

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I am a 29 year old female.

My nurse at my initial patient assessment (assessment for patients registering at a new practice) said that I "need to" have a cervical smear test even though I am not sexually active and never have been. She says I need to have it done because it shows pre-cancerous cells in the cervix and if I don't have it done the practice's computer system will keep showing a message that my cervical smear is outstanding.

The cervical smear test is all booked in for next month. I have never had sex or had anything like this done and I am worried it'll hurt.

Will it hurt if I have never had sex? Will the nurse I see understand that it's my first smear? 

I am so nervous and I feel like a complete chicken for being nervous over something like this.

Thanks

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

http://www.bmj.com/rapid-response/2011/10/28/women-informed-consent-and-cervical-screening

Jay, here is a great summary of the legal and ethical responsibility of the surgery/doctor to obtain your informed consent for cancer screening. Andrew Rouse is a senior lecturer at Birmingham University working in the public health area, this is his response to an article published in the British Medical Journal on Cervical Screening and Informed Consent. Sadly, few women see these articles and comments, instead we so often get misinformation, coercion, pressure and scare/unethical tactics etc. That's not ethical cancer screeening, not even close.

• Posted

Any health professional who is willing to break a womans virginity to give a smear needs to be struck off.  Why is no one telling this poor girl this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.