Not sleepin on mirtazapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Been taking 60 mg mirtazapine for 16 years for sleep, 2 weeks ago it stopped working. what can I do?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tony, were you taking Mirtazapine for anything else, i.e anxiety, depression or was it purely for insomnia. If you were taking purely for insomnia, 60 mg is an unusual doseage for 2 reasons. 1) The maximum recommended dose is 45mg and 2) the lower the dose the more sedating effect in terms of antihistamine receptors. People with insomnia normally take only 7.5mg or less. Anything above 15mg and Mirtazapine tends to be more activating rather than sedating. However, we all metabolise antidepressants differently and it has obviously helped you .for a long time I would go back to your GP and get an expert opinion. Good luck!

• Posted

Yes I agree with previous comments, that's a very high dose. I've been taking 7.5mg for about 18 months now (for insomnia) I still have anxiety but try to live with it with a little help from propranolol.

• Posted

Hi Tony, im sorry to hear that and i completely identify with your problem. I too was on 60 mg for over ten years until around 4 years ago when it stopped working overnight. I dont want to worry you and we are all totally different in our responses to anti depressants, but its hsd a devastating impact on my life. Firstly, you have no other choice than to come off it and you'll have to do this really really slowly. I held on to hope during my taper that it would suddenly start working agsin, but to no avail. Drs tried me on amitriptyline and then trazodone for insomnia but neither worked. Im currently existing on 3 hours sleep a night and on exceptional nights, i get 6 hours of broken sleep.i wish i had the answers for you but no one has every suggested anything that works. Wishing you all the best of luck in the world

• Posted

wow that seems to b an extremely high dose ! check with your gp. but i was told that 7 half mg was for sleep and anything above that was for depression anxiety i agree with other responses consult with your gp good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.