Not Sleeping

Posted , 17 users are following.

I'm 10 weeks out from TKR and need to ask has anybody had problems sleeping. I go to bed and my knee is very pins and needles like, fall asleep wake up in pain, get up walk, elevate, ice go back to bed and its the same thing all over again within an hour or two. Thank you.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm at 14 week and the same thing! Very frustrating. I just keep hoping. It will get better. I'm so tempted to take a Tramadol because 600 mg ibuprofen does not help at night!😳

• Posted

Hi Fay!

For the last two YEARS prior to my TKRs I would eventually drift off to sleep once my Ibuprofen would kick in. I would get about two hours sleep before pain resumed. This was EVERY NIGHT, ALL NIGHT LONG!

Once my surgeries were done I actually got about three or four hours of peace before I would wake up to use the bathroom/ walk around to counteract stiffness/ ice/ DISTRACT MYSELF by cleaning something or reading or ANYTHING to get my mind off the fact that I wasn't SLEEPING!

At two years post surgery it is OTHER arthritic body parts that bother me. Knees are GOOD!

Be patient.

At 12 weeks I think you'll notice improvement. Several others mentioned this to me early on, and I found it to be true.

Sending prayers of calm and strength and patience to you tonight!??

• Posted

Cheryl I think this is the norm. I was the same & even after 15 weeks , in fact last night was one of my best , but I did take meds. Hoping I've turned the corner. Glad you're much better now . Blessings

• Posted

Hi Eileen!

SO happy to hear that last night was a good one for you! 😊There is no shame in taking meds, and getting that blessed SLEEP makes a person feel HUMAN again!😁

I've had other operations. The TKR is DIFFERENT from other operations. I think it is more complex and affects more body systems than other operations. NOBODY seems to be prepared for all of the TIME that recovery takes.

Be patient. It DOES come! Each little piece of progress is a VICTORY!🎉🎶

Thanks for the kind words!?? I'm very glad I had my knee replacements. I shudder to think where I would be now had I decided to NOT take a chance on my future and GO FOR IT! Having that horrible, rotten, no-good, very bad knee pain GONE was worth every moment of recovery!😁

Wishing you continued success and pleasant dreams!😊 Zzzzzz!

• Posted

Sleep? Never heard of it. At 4 months post op I sleep about 2 hours and then have to walk around a bit because my leg is stiff and aching. Then a few more hours. I have become a fan of late night tv and can name every "as seen on tv" product. Seriously, try deep breathing and meditation. Or just get up and iron.

Ellen

• Posted

Yes, I seem to have that same problem; I am just at nine weeks. I must say that I am getting more sleep but when I go to bed it feels like pins and needles, sleep a couple of hours or so and wake up in pain. Stay woke for about an hour or so then back to sleep. It starts over.
  • Posted

Hi there, I am 7 weeks post-op. I originally had such terrible leg pain at night I wanted to cry. The severity of it decreased after about 3 weeks. I still have pain but it seems to depend on how much I exercise or don't and how much I ice. I think most of us go through this to varying degrees. Unfortunately it is something we must work through in the recovery phase. Wish I could offer more . . .

• Posted

I was the same for weeks I did what the professions say don't do placed a pillow lengthwise and put my leg on it sleep every night no bother I'm now 14 weeks TKR I walk 2 miles a day 20 knee stretches I can climb steps using my bad leg not bad after doing something that's bad for my leg I had a awful first 6 weeks at first but when I got my sleep started to go on the up Having my other leg done soon and I shall continue with the leg the same way one I only take 2 codeine 9 am morning and 9am bed time good luck xx

• Posted

Hi this was me then I saw consultant and needed more surgery manipulation scar tissue removed and knee snapped backed down was so scared as was 18 weeks wen he did this came home last week after 3 days in hospital and omg 😲 was great still in pain and clips come out Monday then instence physio but the knee is much more loose and I feel so much better x glad I had this done x hope you get on ok it's so hard T K R love Julie x

• Posted

Yes, faybuubbles this happens to me after 15 weeks !! last night was one of my best though, since January. Am hoping now it will be the beginning of better nights, I think we've all suffered many ( mostly) sleepless nights. I've walked the floor , rocked myself to & fro, layed with ICE on & counting time to have more med , I know everyone says this BUT it DOES get better . Sounds daft but it still early days. We have to remember it's a 6 month to a year recovery. Meanwhile the ICE is the best. Take care , keep your chin up. Nobody knows what it's like unless they've had a TKR.

• Posted

It's common. I put lavender oil on my pillow and do full lung breaths (yoga) before bed because I find I get tense and need to work on relaxing. It is improving gradually. Pain relief right before bed and again when you wake up in the night would help.

• Posted

Lol sounds only too familiar.

I'm almost 14 weeks post op and every night is the same. 

I've recently returned to work so feeling exhausted so tend to nap once again.

TKRs .... what a nightmare ... if only I could sleep long enough to actually have a nightmare 😴😂

• Posted

Thinking of nightmares...I did have a short one. In it the surgeon hadn't

Just replaced my knee but had put metal struts in my thighs which had got all twisted

And one was sticking out ! Must have been something to do with

The strange sensations of having quadriceps shut down ! So probably best not to have nightmares post TKR!😄

• Posted

I've had a recurring dream,..after a full year of recovery from tkr all that remains is a glob of fat the size of a basketball hanging from my knee....

btw, i'm@15wksneutral

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.