Not sleeping

Posted , 7 users are following.

Can i ask if anyone's had issues with not sleeping what doctors have gave them. I'm currently on 7.5mg of zopiclone three times a week just so I can get a sleep to get too work but I've read how bad they are. I've got an appointment with a mental health nurse next week and just wondering if there's anything else I could try that's not so harmful xxx

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

hello, there are lots of supplements that can help, but chances are, you are already getting enough of what they provide from your diet. from what ive looked into, the only thing i give any credibility to is melatonin, which im currently waiting for some to arrive. anti histameins help, but they make you groggy the next day. once your anti depressant is working correctly, you should be able to sleep better. benzos do work well in the short term, but you need to rely on your anti depressant to be up to speed and working fully, to be able to come off them. this is what you are aiming for.
  • Posted

just to add, benzos are beneficial where a person reaches a certain point or state, where the advantages outweigh the risks of developing dependancy. doctors and the like make this decision for you. your condition needs to be serious enough, that without taking something like a benzo, your condition could escalate out of control, and put you in a worse state, than becoming dependant on them. if a doctor recommends taking them, then the benefits outway the risk if dependancy. you shouldnt feel bad about taking them, if rrecommended for you.
  • Posted

Hi Karen

Sometimes there are some anti depressants that help you sleep so if anxiety/depression is maybe a problem for you then it’s possible you could find one that works to help u sleep too

Definitely don’t up your dose though as I know through experience how dependent you can become on them

Try phenergan tablets you can buy them over the counter

Please take care 

• Posted

I take zoplicone 7.5 but my brother has problems sleeping and doesn't use benzos.  he bought zzzquil over the counter and actually gets fair amount of sleep with it.  it is made from same manufacturer Vicks that makes nyquil

• Posted

Do u take zopiclone every night n how long for xxx
  • Posted

there is something that will help you sleep, but it takes some getting used to. you either leave your radio on all night, not too loud, or use one of those 8hr relaxtion videos on you tube. thing you need to do is ensure that you leave it on all night, or 8 hours etc. at first you might think its the music thats keeping you awake. its not though. you dot make a conscious effort to listen to it, it just plays. you dont sleep well as you are too anxious and are worrying about sleep and other things. while you are worrying or trying to sleep, now and then you will listen to the music. each time you listen to the music, you become distracted from your worrying, even just for a few seconds. the continual disgraction from worrying, allows you to relax slightly, until ebentually you relax enough and you fall asleep. at first it might take a couplr of hours to fall asleep. as you get used to it, you will fall asleep mote quickly. if you wake up, you leave tbe music on, and yiu fall asleep again for the same reasons. you need to let the music play all night. it takes some getting used to, but it works. if you cannot sleep or wake up, still leave the music on, because it didnt wake you up, and it will allow you to fall asleep again. takes some getting used to, but it works.
    • Posted

appalling typos, typing on a bus
    • Posted

Thanks for yiur advice nigel i will try the radio I honestly have tried everything natural n mediation n no caffeine n take it easy couple of hours before bed drink hot milk but just can't nod off xxx

• Posted

Are they actually helping you to get a good night's sleep?

Taking them only 3 nights a week should really minimise the risk of any withdrawal effects.

• Posted

Yes they are just worried about having too take pills too sleep. Either that or i just lie there exhausted n get no sleep 😭

• Posted

Hello Karen yes I think so but I’m on about 4 a night and have been on them for 5 years (not proscribed)
    • Posted

Do you take these every night I'm just trying too get by on 3 a week n hoping my sleep returns thanks for the reply xxx

• Posted

I was on Mogadon for the same reason as you stated - work. I couldn't find good advice on how to get off them so I ended up being on them for a very long time but I am 7 years free now. Zopiclone is a much more powerful drug than Mogadon and you can very easily become dependent on it.  You didn't say how long you have been on the Zopiclone but as far as I am concerned the quicker you taper off it the better for your health. I have helped many people get off Zopiclone and other similar drugs and please understand, these drugs change the way that your brain functions, so never abruptly stop taking it  - please come off the zopiclone slowly.

There are loads of things that you can do to help yourself get to sleep: 

1. Relaxation & yoga

2. Guided meditations

3. Establishing a healthy sleep routine by avoiding blue light from TV and computer screens

4. 432hz or other music designed to help you sleep

5. Slowing down well before sleep

6. Avoiding stimulating drinks like coffee, cola, chocolate

7. Eating foods with triptophan like turkey 

8. Calming herbs and spices 

9. Looking into what is stopping you from sleeping in the first place - it can't be important enough to ruin your health over.

10. Massage

11. Emotional freedom technique

12. Hypnosis

These are just a few of the things that you can do. Taking one of these drugs is only a tempory solution to your problem - they will eventually stop working for you as your body craves more. please be very careful. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply there's nothing wrong too stop me sleeping if there was then I'd know that's what was wrong . I was in mitrazapine for a year I came off it didn't feel it was making me any better on venlafaxine now but can't sleep. I've since found out there was a sedative in mitrazapine and I think this is why I'm not sleeping. Last night I took a diazapam n slept for 6 n a half hours woke up feeling a lot better more refreshed just hate taking pills too sleep.I've got mental health appointment in Friday so hoping they can help. I need too sleep .xx

• Posted

Ive screenshoted what u said will ask about mogadon thanks for your help xxx
    • Posted

There must be an underlying cause to stop you from sleeping - it could be phyisical, mental or emotional - if there wasn't an underlying cause then we wouldn't be having this conversation. I doubt that you GP is going to look for that cause, he or she probably won't have the time to do so. You may need to go to a naturopathic doctor or a psychologist. In my case it was denial about my marriage..... Diazepam is Valium which is a benzodiazepine. Zopiclone, although being a Z drug is treated in the same way as benzodiazepines are and you will also develop a dependency to it. You are using a mix of AD's and benzodiazepines - both are mind altering drugs and both can lead you to long term heartache and ill health. Please consider this very carefully. I have seen too many live ruined becaause of these drugs to not warn you about it. I strongly recommend that you read the document below and become informed. There are also loads of Facebook support groups that you can join and  many youtube videos that you can watch to understand the dangers of these drugs as well. https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

• Posted

Thanks for your reply but I'm sure it's because ive came off mitrazapine I've looked it and it says it's given too people who struggle too sleep. So now I've stopped it I'm struggling too sleep naturally. In saying that I've been taking magnasium the last 10 days and I slept well last night with no sleeping tablet or diazapam hopefully I can do this tonight again xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.