Not slept

Posted , 9 users are following.

Haven't slept since mid January. An hour or two here and there, desperate. Gp prescribed 25mg of amitryptaline but I am scared to take them

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard. Sorry to hear about your insomnia. I'm assuming that the GP has prescribed the amitriptyline specifically for this reason and not for some underlying condition? It's very often prescribed at this sort of dose for nerve pain, and helps sleep as a sort of side effect. People are usually advised to start at a very dose (even as low as 5mg per night) and work up, because as well as aiding sleep at night, it can make you feel pretty knocked out in the morning, particularly when you've just started taking it. I'd imagine that starting at 25mg would be very likely to have that effect.  It depends on what you need to do in the morning - if you have to get up and go to work, 25mg to start probably isn't ideal. You could cut the tablets in half (or even quarters) to start with and see how you get on, making sure to take them mid-evening. Or, they are available as 10mg tablets, if you wanted to ask your GP for a lower dose.

• Posted

Really helps you sleep better. The only thing is you'll be groggy during the day for maybe the 1st week until your body adjusts

• Posted

I have been taking amytripyline 25 mg to sleep for 15 years.  What are you afraid of?
  • Posted

Nothing worse than sleep deprivation and don’t worry about taking it. Have taken 250mg for far too long. 

Just  make sure you don’t get hooked as long term these pills can cause great harm to the body. 

• Posted

25mg is a very low dose. So low that it might not do much to help you sleep. Don't worry about taking it, you won't find too many side effects at that strength. I take 150mg each night and have absolutely no problem sleeping. I take it for bad depression but it's great for helping sleep. I used to fall asleep an hour after taking it but now I'm used to it and usually go to bed at about eleven. I fall asleep within minutes, every night, and it's great. Doesn't help with intimacy though. I'm sleeping soundly by the time my wife has undressed. I used to have quite a hangover in the morning but I'm over that now. I used to have terrible problems sleeping. Now I don't. I don't ever want to come off the medication. As you doubtless know, trying to function when you have night after night of tossing and turning is awful. I'm actually quite glad I have depression, I wouldn't be prescribed this if I didn't. Night after night, a brilliant sleep. It is great.

• Posted

Never be glad you have depression!

Also have you read any studies about long term side effects of taking these pills? No. Has your Gp? No. Have the manufacturers of Amitriptyline independently tested to see side effects of taking drug for a long period of one? No!

I have been taking it for over 20 years and this pill has harmed me internally so badly.  

There are other ways to get a good night sleep. 

Do you meditate before sleeping. Mindfulness?  

So many other alternatives to pills, just takes a bit more effort!!

• Posted

Hi! Ive been on 20mg for over 3 years for sleep problems & ibs. I started on 10 then upto 20 after the first week & been on that dosage since. 25mg imo seems relatively high to start on.

As someone else has stated it will make you groggy at first (3 months in my case), but everyone reacts differently.

But please do not feel scared of taking them. They've been a godsend to me.

• Posted

Richard

You have been given a script for above, try not waste it. You visited the Doctor because of sleep problems.

You will  not get better if you fail to take this medication

The dose is small, give it a chance

BOB

• Posted

Hey Bob,

Do you work for makers of Amitriptyline?! It is not the holy grail and there are many other avenues to follow.

The whole world is being encouraged to pop pills for every ailment.

I talk from experience and know first hand the damage these pills can do.

• Posted

I take this medication and have done so for many years now and am able to vary my doses.

This medication is quite an age and there are also other newer medications that do the same thing, however we have to take what is given and see how we go. 

I take this drug not for Depression or Anxiety, I take it for nerve damage in various parts of my body. You need to consider what your expectations are when it comes to some medications. In taking 25mg of this medication about one hour before bed you should be able to sleep better, the use as a sleeping tablet is a side effect or the drug. 25mg is a small dose, I take anything between 50mg and 75mg nightly they work for me, I cannot say how other people find the drug.

Some people have problems with this medication, I would advise anyone who has problems to talk to their GP or Health Professional.

BOB

• Posted

Hi Richard,

I had any sleepless nights, anxiety, and moderate depression. I was prescribe 25mg of Amithropline and I started immediately. It helped me so much, not only with sleep, it helped me over come my anxiety and depression. I feel great, I have been taking it for nine months the now and feel amazing.

I suggest start the medicine but cut the tablet in half with tablet cutter, they sell them in pharmacys. I stared the same way, because in the beginning it makes you very sleepy and its a little difficult to wake up in the morning specially if you have to go to work. So this half trick worked really well. Then in the second week do one third of the table and finally the third week a while tablet. Start like this and you will see the difference and how you feel after takening this medicine.

Good Luck smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.