not sure

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, im 46 and was at my Gps the other day for one thing and ended up having my blood pressure taken which she said was too high, she did it once more 5 mins later and it was the same, straight away she did a prescription for Rampril and that was that, i havent taken any because i read horror stories about statins (my own mom included),  so now im left feeling scared and confused , the Gps parting words were any central chest pain call 999 (i do take verapamil for tachycardia). So my question is does it have any symptoms? I do feel rubbish and tired most the time but dont know if thats linked or not. Ive just had a blood test but wont know results for around a week, thank you

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Do you know what your BP was measured at? For a GP to prescribe it straight away with comments about dialling 999 chest pain does suggest it was seriously high.

High BP doesn't have any symptoms normally - until you get a stroke or heart attack if you are unlucky.

But the usual advice is lose weight by eating less and excercising more.  

• Posted

I thought ramiprill was for high bp not a statin, how high was your bp, that seems quick to put you on pills after two

high readings, thought they had to take it at least 3 times 2 weeks apart...

• Posted

Hi thanks for your replies, stupidly i didnt ask what it was, i was so taken aback at what she said. read rampril was a statin but am i getting mixed up? I wasnt too happy with being put on them so quickly but havent taken any, id much sooner et it down myself if possible. Im not overweight but like most people have spread a little round my middle so ill look at shifting that for starters, thank you x
    • Posted

Peppa, Ramipril is an Ace Inhibitor prescribed for high blood pressure.  It is not a statin.  Having discovered your high blood pressure, your GP has probably decided to put you straight on to Ramipril due to the fact that you already suffer from, and are being treated for, tachycardia.  The Verapamil you are taking for your tachycardia is also often prescribed for high blood pressure, but is obviously not sufficient to control your present high reading.

If you already suffer from tachycardia, it would be wise to speak to your GP before embarking on any exercise, although regular walking and cutting out all salt and alchol from your diet can help, as can switching from all caffeinated drinks to non-caffeinated.

As Helen has suggested, a home blood pressure monitor can help you to keep track of your own blood pressure.

If a GP finds that our blood pressure is unduly raised, it isn't unusual to be advised to remain alert for any chest pain and seek emergency advice.  I was advised similarly when my blood pressure suddenly spiked to 200 systolic - when it suddenly went even higher I experienced a dizzy turn, so that is also a symptom to look out for.

Good luck with the blood test results, and do let us know how you get on.   

• Posted

do 30 mins a day on a ex bike that should do the trick you need a home monitor to keep an  eye on it
  • Posted

I know how you feel similar happened to me   I decided to take the tablets amidipine that the gp prescribed to me after much debate with myself. Have been taking them for five weeks. Not sure if I am experiencing side effects or if it's in my mind. I get really bad sweats like being menopausal again. I am 56 years old and very healthy. Blood tests were all okay and ecg okay. I was told to stop using the gym but to take brisk walks
  • Posted

i like you had a dr,s appointment unrelated to blood pressure, he took my blood pressure and it was 160/90 , he checked my records and the last recorded blood pressure was the same reading so he prescribed me Ramipril , i came out of the dr,s in a daze with prescription in hand an appoitment 5 days later for an ecg and a blood test as apparently Ramipril can affect the kidneys. i know my dr had my best interest at heart but that was nearly 2 months ago and i haven,t taken any tablets yet. i did buy myself a home blood pressure monitor and at first my pressure was going uo but i was very anxious, after taking it most days i realise that it varies all the time however it tends to average out at 147/84 . the down side of not takinow worried it has returned, ng the tablets i think it has given me a health anxiety as now it is on my mind all the time ,i have had giddy turns and panic attacks. i am going back to see my gp on Tuesday to discuss hopefully a 24hr monitor but if he believes i should take the Ramipril i will. hope i now will get over my anxiety as i have suffered health anxiety years ago and am now worried it has returned. do go back and discuss with your Dr any worries you have sooner rather than later . good luck 
    • Posted

It's a right problem not knowing what to do for the best. It's good to know lots of other people are in the same situation and good to share experiences
    • Posted

Hi Marilyn, How have you got on with your anxiety? Any better?  Best of luck
  • Posted

Thank you to you all, i appreciate your comments. Ive been refered back to the cardiologist as i described strong palpitations with a few dizzy spells following it, now im wondering if its a blood pressure thing rather than a heart thing? thanks again x
    • Posted

Pippa, very likely to be caused by the BP pill suddenly reducing your high blood pressure.  Sometimes, patients are advised to take the first dose in the evening so that any such side effect will occur overnight therefore not being noticed.

I've started an additional BP pill today - a diuretic called Indapamide (I already take Losartan), and this evening I had a dizzy turn - I immediately took my blood pressure and it was greatly reduced which I understand can be expected at first.

Reassuring for you to have the opinion of the cardiologist though.

• Posted

thank you again, today i went to the local chemist who check blood pressure for you, i explained the situation and i had it done in my left arm at sys 117 dia72 and in my right 134 0ver 74. So not high but why the big difference? Now im really baffled!!!! Didnt take the tablets so happy with that decision at least x
    • Posted

The difference can be significant. The answer is long and complicated so Google the question for the answers.

Another thing to try is to take your BP whhen sitting and again when standing.  

• Posted

Peppa, they're excellent readings - it's quite common to have different readings from both arms, but as long as they're both within the normal range like your's then no need to worry.  I don't understand whey they prescribed a BP pill for you, unless of course you had a touch of White Coat Syndrome at the surgery.  They've stopped taking my BP and just rely on a few of my home readings.  It used to soar to 200 at the surgery and the longer they kept me there repeating it, the higher it would go!  Thank Heavens for ambulatory BP monitors - they must save a lot of patients with WCS from unnecessary treatment.  Good luck with your blood test results.
  • Posted

Hi, I have felt rubbish on enalapril, alodpine & have just been changed to Ramapril, at least my legs & feet feel a bit better, making it easier to take some walking/cycling exercise, but still get weird feelings on & off, wobbly head, int. numbness/pins & needles in legs & sometimes arms, slight warm flush all through body but that doesn't seem to last very long. However am on very low dose at the moment which isn't bringing my readings down, they have started to rise again. Due to see Dr again Friday. So fingers crossed. Have been on strict diet since this all licked off early March
    • Posted

what do you think cause the weird feelings is it the bp the Ramapril or something else . i am due to see Dr in about an hour because i was prescribed Ramapril about 2 months ago but haven,t taken them thought i could bp down myself but i have those weird things and have thought it to be anxiety 
    • Posted

Hi Marilyn, not sure but sounds like yours could be the BP iof you havent taken the tablets. I wasn't getting any of the symptoms until I went on meds, have some good days, but then feel rubbish on all the meds I've tried. Am also taking water tablet with 2.5mg ramapril, was put on thw wt after amodopine didn't bring readings down enough. My strict & tasteless diet since 10th March doesn't seem to have influenced my readings either. The only time I got acceptable readings was upon return from 11 days in Italy where I had not control of salt in diet & veggies were almost non existant. However, it was very hot, which apparently is good for HBP, and we did an extremely high amount of walking, even if my feet were ballooning out of my shoes. When we returned, for the first 5 days readings were like 129/72 as average which were brilliant, howver since then they have crept back to initially 145/79, 154/74, and then after 10 days of being on 1.25mg ramapril & water tablet my reading was 174/72, doubled my rampapril tab today & seeing dr again Friday. Trouble is I've seen so many different drs all who seem to have differing views on treatment/approach. Still had no explaination as cause, presumably old age!!!! 64yrs, but reasonably healthy, just on the line weightwise, & strict no salt & healthy diet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.