not sure about removing plates in my leg

Posted , 6 users are following.

A few months ago discussed my accident,it has now been 8 months and walking very badly on crutches.I have 2 plates and screws in my lower leg.The knee and leg is very swollen all the time.I am thinking of having the plates out I am 72 but dont know if their would be any advantage Wellcome comments?

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Haven't you discussed this with your consultant and/or physiotherapist?Surely they are the ones to advise you.
  • Posted

yes my consultant said it is my choice
  • Posted

I would say No don't get them removed this will weaken the leg even more.. Your knee s swollen ? Is there a wound or are we healed to pin sites.. Massage is good to help with swelling.. Have you circulation problems at all? You have to take your age into consideration. Can you walk with out crutches.. ? If not then you need to talk with and have more physio..
    • Posted

Is there pain and redness stopping you walking on the leg? Because if the Consultant said its your choice you need to be informed of the cons before you do this.. Like you getting older bone could fracture again due to the weakness..
  • Posted

hello

i have over the years had femeral nail femeral plate and screws also plates and screws in the lower leg  and foot i personaly have never had a bad reaction to the insertion of plates and screws or the femeral nail thats been in for 30yrs now    there is evidance   regarding the removal of pins plates and screws where by people have recorded constant discomfort due to plates and pins being in place and consequently had them removed  it definately is a personal choice  also the removal of said plates and screws should not leave the afixed bone weakened as long as it has healed properly before removal and this should be realatively easy to diagnose . idealy it would be advantagous to leave them in place as another op is not always a good thing  but it may well be the case that the metalwork is having an adverse affect  without doubt your best way forward is to discuss this with your surgeon opinions can be misleading

• Posted

Great post david p, so glad that you shared from personal experience!
    • Posted

Hi David,

Thanks for that

Very interesting,and I am thinking to leave them in,although it happened last October was in a cast for 6 months,so leg still very week

• Posted

Well Pam, this is a great forum to learn about different options and opinions. I missed your discussion about your accident and so sorry for you that it happened and that you are left suffering.

Do the plates and screws serve a temporary or permanent purpose? Is the constant swelling initiated by the plates and screws? Do you feel you could walk better without the hardware in your leg?

I guess I would like to know more details for me to offer you an opinion, however I do send warm hugs and hope you can weigh out the pros and cons of your decision in order to make the best decision for you. It sounds like the doc is fine with it either way, so this is all about what you can bear.

💛 Dawn, USA

• Posted

Yes they are permanent,But very painful around where the plate is.

Happened last October.Thanks for your email

• Posted

Hi Pam

Empathise for you as I have just had the plate and pins removed from my arm (upper humerus) on 13th July. I felll on 4 December 2013 and the pins and plate to repair my fracture were put in my arm on 5th December 2013.

The Consultant thinks this removal of pins and plate shall increase my arm mobility and ease my pain when raising my arm. However he did say there is a risk of refracture (I shall now check how  much of a risk). So far my arm movements feel lighter and I am practicising physiotherapy with more ease slowly. I shall join a NHS phsio 1:1 soon too. I am 56 and live in the Midlands England.

I think you need to check with the Consultant about the swelling and request a scan to see if muscles and tendons are affected and an x-ray to check your bones have healed. Do you need prescribed pain relief tablets. I am now on prescribed paractemol.

Keep well

Kind wishes

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Yes its very heavy thats why I thought it would be better to remove,

but having second thoughts now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.