Not sure how to differentiate my emotions anymore?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

just taking the opportunity to breathe some words that have been ruminating in my head - I'm in my 7th month of a spiral with anxiety and depression, triggered by reasons I have been going to a therapist to talk through. I’ve been on 3 types of medication in that time - nothing has touched the sadness, just curbed the anxiety which I desperately want back once all I have is numb. In the beginning I knew how to tell the difference, in who I really was and the sickness, as time has gone on the sickness has taken over more consistently - now I feel like it has eaten me whole, and I can’t remember how it felt to have a light on inside anymore. I’m in a beautiful relationship, we have a beautiful house, I’m fully employed and stable, but lately I feel like I can’t tap into any of these emotions anymore, and it is tearing my mind up - how do I know that this is temporary, when it feels so permanent and final? The life I have is everything I ever wanted, but I feel no appreciation, or kindness or empathy, happiness or love for myself, my life and others. How do I know this isn’t really who I am now? I am so lost and I’m pushing everybody I care about away.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi flik, that sounds awful. You poor bugger! You need to talk to someone i think. You are not very well, if you're on medication it could be that that's tipping you over the edge? I would start with your doctor. You can have all the things you spoke about but be unfulfilled. I wish you luck.

• Posted

I would say that you've done really well for yourself and you've pushed through and achieved so much despite your depression.

People can still be depressed and have everything they've ever wanted. Heck look at some celebrities!

But what matters is finding who you are and how to control your emotions.

I'm about to start behaviour psychology, and I strongly recommend you doing the same.

Some of my friends and even family have done it and have helped their emotions and how they respond to certain things etc

Hope you begin to feel more like yourself soon.

Update me 😃

Emma - UK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.