Not sure IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband gets severe abdominal cramping a couple of hours after he eats peanuts or raw carrots. No other food does this to him. The cramps come and go for about 6 hours then start to subside. This time it was accompanied by diarrhea. Has anyone heard of IBS being triggered by only 2 foods?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That used to happen to me. I find that veggies trigger symptoms of IBS. Maybe take out those two from his diet for a few months and see if symptoms improve. Also I found combinations of foods eaten together or near eachother have a huge impact on IBS.
  • Posted

Hey dorothy i agree with drinking yogi...If symptoms come after eating certain food accompanied with diarrhea and if that get resolved after passing stool then you should avoid those and keep food diary...I can't tolerate wheat, cabbage, beet roots etc. 

• Posted

It appears to be most nuts but only raw carrots. No other raw veggies. And when he doesn't eat either of those two, he has no symptoms. He can eat peanut butter. You still think it could be IBS?

• Posted

Hey dorothy I agree with pippa...only one food can also give you IBS......I would suggest he should avoid those foods which triggers his symptoms...well there might be possibility that he can't tolerate peanut but can tolerate peanut butter as in processed food if some part of protein of peanuts is removed which causes his symptoms then he can tolerate it...So nothing is absolute in IBS...It is individual thing...So you just have to observe after eating foods and keep a food diary which helps you to avoid triggers.  

• Posted

IBS trigger foods can have any number of foods involved. My brother had only one IBS trigger food and that was potato.  Everyone is different with IBS.  It is a very individual thing.  Some people have multiple food sensitivities and some have none at all.  I have no food trouble with my IBS.  My trigger is stress.  Simply avoid the foods that are causing symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.