Not sure if having my first real flare

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been quiet but reading every post on here plus catching up on the old posts and all my questions regarding tapering, pacing, travelling ,etc., have been answered.

2 weeks ago, I had to travel from Spain, where I live, to Seattle to help take care of my 2 school age grandchildren. As pre Eileen, I traveled with airport assistance which was great, despite having a broken sacrum and pubis.I have had to drive again after 25 year which was stressful and the pain from the broken pelvis is quite bad, especially at night as can only sleep on my back which I am not used to so I haven't been getting quality rest for over two months, now.. But all in all, my PMR was under control and I had managed to reduce 1.25mgs a week successfully .I have been at 15mgs for a week now and was about to reduce another 1.25 when I woke up this morning with what seems to be full blown, untreated PMR. I don't think I over did any thing, either.

What can have happened? I know I've been tapering super fast due to the insufficiency fractures.I was planning to start the slow tapering when I got to 10mgs. The only thing I can think of to do is to stay a while at 15mgs

The pain from the fractures has not subsided at all after 2 months, in fact I am now in constant pain, not only when walking or lying on my side. Could a flare be caused by being in pain? I do take pain meds but not regularly ..I'd be a complete basket case if I took enough on a regular basis to ease this horrendous pain.

0 likes, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think we're all swimming in murky waters.  What i keep telling myself is to pace myself, pace myself, check in with my breathing, muscle tension, and intensity.  I try to keep myself very level.  But that seems to require toning down the good highs like enjoying the grandkids, laughing hard, having a deep thoughtful discussion.  I never noticed this before and I can't tell if it's the prednisone or the disease.  I just sense that it isn't good for me to be revved up these days, whether it is for good reasons or bad.

Meanwhile, for me lately,  if I've done a bit more than usual, a situation that has led to more symptoms the next day despite a steady dosage of Prednisone, I am taking 5mg Prednisone about 2 am and then the rest after/with breakfast in the morning.  My Rheumy is OK with that,  I find I wake up asymptomatic with that 5mg dose in my system before the inflammatory shower.   

I guess it's all trial and error.  And everyone has to find what works best for him/herself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.