Not Sure If I Have Asthma Or Not

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just wondered if any one can help over the past three weeks I’v been experiencing a horrible tight chest feeling and like around my thoart. It’s like some one is standing on me or holding me down every time I breath, I am extremely weezy also to the point we’re I wake my self with it, I seem to be sneezing a lot to. These symptoms are also here but I’v noticed can worsen at any point during day at no specific time. I’v been to the doctors were they asked me to blow into a tube were I was told after three attempts it was a pathetic effort but I was honestly blowing as far as I could, he asked me if I’d like an inhaler and I said is that what you think I need?!? I feel as thou the GP just didn’t believe me one bit but something is definitely not right and I’m just wondering what symptoms asthma has and do you thinks this is what it is and can it just come on suddenly in life as I’v never experienced this problem before . Any feed back and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks Clare 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you couldn’t blow into the  ‘meter, then you need to see a  pulmonologist  and be tested for asthma.
  • Posted

Hi, Clare, I am sorry you are not feeling well, and really sorry your doctor didn't address your problems. As you probably know, most of the things you complained about are definitely symptoms of asthma.  Wheezing is the hallmark of asthma. Feeling like your chest is tight is also a biggie and, obviously, if you cannot breathe.  The way physicians diagnose asthma is mostly by a person's symptoms and there are a few diagnostics.  If you are wheezing, the doctor should have been able to hear it through a stethoscope.  They should have measured your  oxygen level by putting a device on your finger.  If your number is around 96 or above, that's good.  A very poor oxygen level is in the 80s and you would probably be very sick and short of breath and in the hospital if you had a number like that.  The blow test they gave you is called a spirometer and it measures your ability to breathe and how open your airways are.  I think the top number is 800. I have moderate to severe asthma and on a GOOD day, I can usually only blow a 400.  You didn't say what number you blew, but it sounds like your doctor was dismissive of you when you tried, and that is never good. If you continue to feel these symptoms, I suggest you see another doctor immediately. There are many, many sources of information on this site and the Internet that explain asthma and treatments.  Please read all about it, and see another doctor!  Be well....

• Posted

Hi I did the blew test 3 times the first time I blew 150 the second time tried as hard as I could and got between 200 and 250 he then said try once more and I blew the same reading, at this point he went onto say I wasn’t trying hardy enough and that he believed it was higher, I ent away feeling completely deflated. So can Asthma start at any point in life ? x
    • Posted

I got asthma a year ago. The blow test is a good test but you need to see a  pulmonologist. You need a test done on your lungs that checks for asthma and other lung releated issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.