Not sure if I have done something in my sleep

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, am a newbie here so not quite sure how this works! Please bare with me lol. I had a chilectomy and akin osteotomy a week ago. I wasn't really given much detail for aftercare of what to I expect apart from it would be uncomfortable for a few days and rest it as much as possible. The nerve block wore off after 2 days and I started dihydrocodeine and paracetamol every four hour, these didn't touch the pain and so 4 days in am now taking cocodamol. I was really hoping that I could get through a day with hardly any painkillers now, should it still hurt this much?? I rested well for the first few days but having 2 lil ones isn't easy! But am doing my best and hubby been great when home from work.

Has anybody also stretched through the night and what feels like "pulled the toe". OMG the pain, reduced me to tears and am now worried I have done some damage. My bandage was also loose and my doc surgery nurse redressed it but it hasn't been the same and now feels quite tight.

Just wondering if anybody else has had these worries and if I should go back and see him? Am seeing my surgeon in another week and having an X-ray?

I am also a little confused in reading a lot of people were put into a cast? Will this happen after I have my dressing removed?? Definately confused and some answers would be fab from people that are/have been through the same!

Thanks so much for listening 😊

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha. Sorry to hear your troubles. Regarding pulling the for I don't know but someone else may well reply. My bandages were renewed at they were coming off and were too tight so I redid them which I suggest. It's hard to get it just right. Are you one or two feet? Very hard with two little ones as you need all the rest you can get and that's not easy. If there old enough to understand  see if looking after mummy ca be a bit of a game? As for pain relief we are all different and take what you need for now so you are comfortable. It does improve! I am ten weeks now. I can walk a lot and wear some shoes but elevation is still the key as I have a lot of swelling. I know I walk round too much.

Do you use ice on your foot/feet? Frozen peas work well wrapped in a towel. Cold enough to get thru but also to tolerate. Try that every day or couple of times if you can. Just rest elevate and ice. Hope you get other feedback or try reading some if the other blogs loads of info there. Try and keep what you need placed around you so movement is minimal, including children's toys n books! Good luck 👣👣

• Posted

Hi , not sure about the pain in your toe ? I had pain and bruising under foot and around the toes I'm nearly at week 7 I'm still unable to get work boots on and if I do walk outside I wear trainers , but yesterday I went out to walk the dog and ended up having to take one trainer off my operated foot as swelling was apparent and very painful , I think evelation is key , the foot has a lot of repairing to do , mine is still sore but I'm not taking any painkillers 
  • Posted

Hi Samantha

i wouldn't worry about damaging the toe when stretching. The toe will have been fixed during surgery so it should be OK. As for still having pain after a few days, it sounds as if you are doing too much on it. You really need to rest it a lot for the first 2 weeks. If you do overdo it then it' s ice and elevation to reduce the swelling. Fixing a dressing is always an issue - either too tight or too loose. Sounds like yours is too tight. Contact the hospital and mention the problem. They are used to problems with dressings and generally very helpful. I had a scarf osteotomy and cheilectomy 12 weeks ago. My foot is still slightly swollen, but no pain. The biggest problem I found was the boredom of being immobile. I doubt that is the problem with you with 2 young ones. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Ahh thankyou!  The kids are quite good and do help me bless them, I'm just not a very good sit down and rest patient!  I know in myself that I am doing too much, so will spend the weekend resting it up. 

Thankyou very much for your comments, am very pleased that it seems I haven't  done any damage xx

• Posted

Hi Samantha! I'm 6 weeks post op Chevon osteotomy and hammertoe arthroplasty. I had exactly what you describe and it does kill!  I had it about 3 times. This is a muscle spasm and I realized that I may not be getting enough potassium. It does not cause damage to the toe. Once I increased my potassium intake the spasms stopped....I also was very careful about stretching LOL !  Regarding the pain in general as others have said we are all so different in how we react to pain. The more you keep your foot elevated above the heart and iced the less swelling there will be and the less discomfort. A good guideline for the first 2 weeks is not to have the foot down for more than 5-10 mins.out of every hour. Did you get anti-inflammatory medication as well? Are you partial weight bearing? As the days go by it will definitely get better and for this recovery alot of patience is required!  😃
    • Posted

Hi, that sounds about right then with the spasms. Only at night when it's been rested for a while. Am weight bearing on my heel with shoe around the house but did venture out in crutches yesterday, am thinking that was not such a good idea now!  Will do more to rest up next week. Didn't get given any anti-inflammatory from hospital, was told they didn't like to prescribe that when operating in bones?! X
    • Posted

Yes.  There is a school of thought that anti-inflammatories may slow down the healing of bone, however, other orthopedic surgeons do prescribe anti-inflammatories for post op pain along with pain killers. If you are finding what you are taking does not manage the pain well enough, perhaps you can ask the doctor if it is ok to try taking something like Advil (Ibuprofen which is an anti-flammatory)  along with some of the other meds and this may help you reduce some of the stronger meds.  I'm not a doctor so please don't do anything without first checking with your own.  It should not be that you cannot manage the pain well enough to be reasonably comfortable.  I do hope that as each day goes by you find that things improve...but you also must hold up your end of the bargain and rest, elevate and ice !!!  lol
  • Posted

Samantha, maybe your foot is swollen and the bandage too tight,  how hard it must be with 2 little ones, you really need looked after for first 2 weeks. No cooking, cleaning etc
  • Posted

Hi Samantha and welcome!  Are you keeping your foot elevated and icing it?  That, I found was the key!  Ice behind your ankle, 20 minutes at a time. You can make simple ice packs with plastic bags and crushed ice. Cover with a kitchen towel before applying to your skin.  As far as the toe stretching. YES! This seems to happen to many of us in our sleep. Not sure why.  I had it for a couple of days, it was very uncomfortable and woke me several times.  This is not an easy process. They pain was much more than I expected.  I am at 10 weeks now and doing pretty good.  Can walk 1/2 mile at a time but I still swell and have bad days when I over do it.  
    • Posted

Hi Jenny I'm 10 weeks too so reading your swelling still there and that overdoing it causes bad days is comforting to me.  I've just been out with one of my daughters who is visiting today so I insisted on taking the wheelchair as I knew four/five hours walking round shops would be a killer!  Swelling is my main problem, the scars are still quite warm and the tissues still quite engorged/swollen even in the morning. I know it's just rest and patience ahead! 👣👣
  • Posted

Hi Samantha, I found I went through two days of crazy pain which really felt like sharp electric shocks, but they went away. Assuming they screwed things back together, you would have to do something pretty drastic to make the repair move.

I was put in a short cast after the initial bandages and dressing was removed, this is normal however its nothing to be worried about. Different consultants have different approaches, I'd give the consultants secretary a call to check what happens next in your case.

I suspect all of us are worried about doing damage, one of the difficulties I had was the swelling inside the plaster, in retrospect I did too much walking and the foot swells inside the plaster.

Good luck with your next visit, I suspect you are OK, recovery may take longer than you would like though, keep feet up, I noticed instant relief from swelling with feet high, higher than horizontal

, maybe put cushions/bolster at bottom of bed to raise feet higher when sleeping. 

• Posted

Sam, I think you should go back before you have to see the Surgeon, you may have pulled something out of place, I haven't had mine done yet, but most ladies are talking about a cast, and I've no idea why just a bandage would surffice a bunion operation!....see if you can talk to your own doctor if you can't get to the surgeon, and looking after two little ones is just plainly 'too much' you need to have your feet UP and elevated, that's part of the healing process. I do wish you well. 
    • Posted

Hi Carol....like Sam I am one of those lucky ones who did not need to have a cast smile The procedure I had, Chevron osteotomy and hammer toe arthroplasty is one where the patient is partial weight bearing (heel walking only with no weight on forefoot) with a special post op shoe right after surgery.  It is one of the  procedures done for mild to moderate bunions. From what I understand the procedures that need a cast are for more severe bunions. Thought you might like to see the wonderful looking velcro sandal shoe thing some of us get to wear ! LOL

• Posted

Hi Rena,

Oh, I see, some have bandages and some with casts! Boy! you certainly are well cased up aren't you? What's with the second toe? is there something on that one? Thanks for explaining it all to me, I learn something every time on this site. It's great to be able to chat to you all, I'm really dreading it, but mainly that I'll be out of action for so long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.