Not sure if my doctor is on the right track

Posted , 4 users are following.

On June 14th of this year, I injured my right hand. I was initially seen in urgent care and was diagnosed with a "sprain". After 3 weeks of it not improving, I saw an orthopedist who also said it was a sprain and to wear a wrist brace for a month. Three weeks ago he said he wanted an MRI of my wrist because "if it isn't healing on its own by now, it probably isn't going to". I saw a fracture on the initial urgent care x-ray and mentioned this to him but he completely blew it off and stated there was no fracture. What do I know, I'm only a nurse? I can't afford several visits a week of physical therapy (poor insurance) and I'm allergic to cortisone. He keeps offering these options to me even though I've told them that I cannot use them due to the afore mentioned circumstances. He now wants me to wait another month to see if it heals on its own (which contradicts what he told me previously) and with no immobilization. He even asked me if I'd had it immobilized and I told him I'd followed his orders to immobilize it with the brace. I feel he should have known that if he'd ordered the treatment. The MRI revealed the following "a longitudinal split tear of the extensor carpi ulnaris tendon and a mildly displaced fracture of the fifth metacarpal base at the attachment of the extensor carpi ulnaris tendon. This favors avulsion injury". He said if it isn't better in a month with no treatment, I have a tough decision to make about just living with it or surgery but he can't guarantee he can locate or repair the injury at that point. So now I have no support on a wrist that is very painful and I have to use in my job as a nurse. I feel as if I am left with no options and that there is a delay in appropriate treatment. My question is: Does this sound like the right course of treatment at this point or should I be looking at a second opinion?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi it sounds as if you know what you are talking about being a nurse.  I have just been offered a complete new wrist and I'm undecided whether to go for it. I'm retired and don't have the pressures about work. With you being a nurse it is important to have full use of your hands.

Ive had problems with my right hand for at least 40 years. I worked in accounts and had problems writing. I am right handed and taught myself to write with my left hand.  I left my job in the accounts and wanted to be a nurse but I was turned 40 then so I decided to train as a nursery nurse. After qualifying I worked in a school for the next 15 years before I retired on ill health.

I think you would feel better getting another opinion and I hope you get it sorted.

Brenda C

• Posted

Thank you and I appreciate your response. Even though I'm a nurse, it helps to have the input of others.

• Posted

Hi AZ, so sorry to hear of your wrist sprain. It's a tough one. Having read your post twice, in a heartbeat I would be calling for another opinion. To hear what he said to you I find unprofessional, not listening to you, repeating treatment offerings that have already been discussed, and then saying there isn't a fracture when you saw one and to top it off with he might not even find it during surgery was enough for me to say bye bye to him and real quickly. I've done extensive research online for my broken wrist and if you do a search on YouTube for physical therapy exercises for broken wrist, you'll find some very reputable videos with exercises you can do all on your own. Most likely the exact ones you are already doing and paying for. I was given 2 days of therapy a week for 6 weeks, waiting 3 weeks to start them, so I'm doing this on my own and making progress. Have your primary care doctor recommend and refer you to another doctor as you'll most likely need a referral. My medicine regimen of 4mg prednisone and 300mg Gabapenton has helped miraculously for the swelling, tightness and pain. I truly hope you find a better doctor who will listen to you and better advise y

• Posted

Thank you greatly for your input. Sometimes it just helps having another person's thoughts on a subject. You feel the same way I do so that helps validate my my feelings about it considering this doc is supposedly a highly qualified "expert" in his field. If he knew what he was doing, I don't feel my hand would be swelling up again, nor if it was healing on its own.

• Posted

Sorry, hit a wrong key. ....advise you of your options. In addition, I would without a doubt be wearing that splint for support. All the best to y
  • Posted

Azsneakysnake

I feel where your coming from, I'm wondering the same thing you are. I went to a place that's associated with a Hospital and they said that I had a nondisplaced Intra-Articular Distal Radius Fracture & on the x-rays you can see a hairline fracture of the Scaphoid bone it was slight but there. To start out my thumb was immobilized and the Orthopedic doctor said that the fall had caused a Arthritic Episode. I was given Cortisone Injection 26 days after the fall & it felt like the bone was hit still it got no better, getting worse everyday and I am going for second opinion, it doesn't feel like Arthritis to me the injection should've made it feel better in couple days not get worse. As a CNA I use my hands a lot and love my job. I would get a second opinion if I were you, you can't get that back if you loose the use in your hand. God Bless You and I hope you get relief soon...

• Posted

Thank you responding and your input. I feel you are wise to get a second opinion. Docs always go right for the cortisone shots but the only (and last) one I had paralyzed my left shoulder down to my waist for a week. I was one in 500,000 people that have that reaction. All it (cortisone) really does is temporarily postpone the inevitable surgery, in most cases. So it doesn't surprise me that you are still having your pain afterwards. Best of luck to you. Feel free to let me know how it turns out.

• Posted

I just don't know what to think about doctors these days it's like they look at you like your crazy or something . I just only wanted someone

the time just to explain what is going on with why they think thats all that is wrong. I just think that everyone deserves a second opinion no matter who you are if you hurt you need something done about it. I will let you know more when I know. Same thing here keep me updated also...i

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.